Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

Excessive oil consumption 1.8 16v

After doing around 300 miles I decided to check the oil level - it was empty!

Is this right? I've been doing a lot of motorway miles and have been reving away but it can't be right that there was almost no oil left??

It has just had a head gasket - could that be the cause??

Thanks again!!

did they put oil in after they changed the head gasket?if its used all the oil in 300 miles it must be smoking a hell of a lot

the head needs a rebuild on mine, but it's not chugging through 5 litres of the stuff in the time it takes to rack off a tank of juice.

The head gasket is nice and easy to check, and if you are losing that much oil there must be evidence of a drip or something. Stick a sheet of cardboard under the car for a wee while and see where the drips are coming from. Might help you localise the problem.

HTH

randal

There are a number of favourite oil leakage locations on the 16V engines, assuming that your engine did have oil in it after the works to your head gasket were completed. 300 miles without lube would surely have lunched your engine. Obviously you need to refil the engine and then observe for leaks. If the engine is allready showing signs of a leak then a steam clean prior to future observation would help locating the fault. Here are some of the top culprits; oil pressure sensors, distributor, valve cover gasket, sump gasket and crankshaft oil seal. The oil pressure sensors leak out from the electrical terminal and can loose an amazing quantity of oil. There are of course many other points from which oil can leak but these i have found to be the most common. You might also check the security of the oil filter given that this would likely to of been changed when your head was done. In any case and in the interests of preserving your engine i would certainly not drive your C another mile until this question is answered.