oxfordpaul

Severe Misfire Only When Engine Really Hot early Vr6 plus hot brakes

Hi Folks, can anyone help? I've had 2 x experience now of the engine severely misfiring (cutting out but not stalling) in hot weather and after a long run. The misfire is really sharp, like instant cutting out but only for nanoseconds at a time so just makes it severely jerky. Any ideas? I had something similar on a previous later VR and it was the crank position sensor I think, does this sound right?

Also the brakes seem to get hot more quickly than I'd expect and compared to previous VR's. This one has uprated drilled disks and pads, could it be that they're just not very good? The wheels make a slight noise which can be heard with the windows open, this stops when I apply light braking, could they be binding? Any advice on good disks / pads would be great. Thanks in advance for any help with either issue.

Your first issue could be one of many things - do a search on here and eliminate them one by one. A faulty crank position sensor will mean the car won't start at all. I'd say get someone to read the fault codes from your ECU first.

Your brakes will get hot anyway after a drive - but if it's excessive the callipers could be seized - is it the front or the rears (the rears are notorious for it - especially the handbrake cable mechanism). You can clean and refurb them or replace. Many put on 288mm fronts and Golf MkIV rears - also plenty of information on that on here. To be honest, if it was me I'd bin the drilled discs and pads and replace with good quality OEM or after market (ATE or Pagid) parts. If you want to pay a premium, pads and discs are still available through Volkswagen dealers.

I've just sorted my front brakes . I thought they were binding . Removed them from the disc and the piston is working fine as are the sliders . My mate works for quik fit , he popped over and put some Grease on the metal edges of the pads . This area heats up and can touch the disc which causes the squealing . Mine were fine for a couple of miles and then they would start to squeak .

All old brakes will squeal - sometimes even new ones. Overheating would be different. The squealing can usually be sorted with copper grease on the backs of the pads, fresh grease on the calliper sliders (new rear pads should come with some in the kit) and a chamfer ground on to the pad edges - but eventually they will start again. It's bit like banging your head against a wall so your mileage will vary. Believe me I've tried.

Get some electrical contact cleaner and give the element in your MAF a good going over. Leave it off for an hour to ensure it all evaporates then try it again. I've had juddering under load in previous VWs and that was the cause. If you can get a good second hand one to rule it out all the better.

Still worth pulling fault codes from the ECU. That's what it's there for and it will pick up on any faulty senders or wiring issues.

Thanks guys for your help. Spoke to Vince at Stealth too and he suggested the relay 109 as a first port of call. Re the brakes he too said just go back to standard VW so will do that I think, the brakes are the worst I've had over my several Corrados. Will keep updating re misfire.