fendervg

VR6 ECU reset procedure

Hi all - here's a question. The "Basic Settings" ECU reset procedure is quite lengthy as it seem to involve driving the car at normal temperature to "teach" the ECU according to the wiki on here, before you do the reset. Do people do this every time the battery is disconnected? The reason I ask is that very little of the VAG literature mentions doing the procedure in the repair instructions, even for repair groups that involve the battery being disconnected for safety. Most just mention keeping a note of the radio codes! Would I be right in saying that under normal conditions the ECU will just re-adapt anyway after voltage has been interrupted, and that normal driving will be enough for it to calculate the correct values?

Some people swear by always doing the reset but ive only done it once in the last 9 years. As you said normal driving should sort it out. If you do have any problems then obviously do the procedure.

yeah - that was what I thought. I've only ever done it a couple of times. The only reason I see where it might be needed is if you don't drive the car after reconnecting the battery and just let it warm up slowly at idle for 20 mins or so - then the ECU would never see full throttle etc.