Marty63

Car buying advice from newbie

Hi guy,s I need your advice do I go for G60 in flash red 187,000 full history,or VR6 in dragon green 120,000 don't know about history until I view it,HELP!!! Ps this is my first time on any forum be gentle.

Have a look at the Corrado Buying Guide on this forum. I found it very useful when I went to view my car. http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

Both the G60 and VR6 have their pro and cons. At the end of the day it is down to your personally preference. Both the cars you are planning to view will be 20+ years old and are high mileage. Only buy if you are satisfied with the condition and buy the best you can afford.

Edited by MarkR

Have a look at the Corrado Buying Guide on this forum. I found it very useful when I went to view my car. http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

Both the G60 and VR6 have their pro and cons. At the end of the day it is down to your personally preference. Both the cars you are planning to view will be 20+ years old and are high mileage. Only buy if you are satisfied with the condition. Corrado's and buy the best you can afford.

ha ha we must have been copying that wiki link at the same time mark lol

Cheers for the info guy,s much appreciated,will let you know in the next couple of days what I decide,I do know the supercharger was rebuilt last December,timing chain on VR don't no.

Obviously the body work is important on a 20+ year old car. A decent respray will be in region of £2k and costs will rise if rusty patches have to be cut out. The base if the front wings, the rear wheel arches and the area around the fuel filler seem to be particularly vulnerable.

Welcome to the forum Marty, and good luck with your search. Have a look in the classified section on here too if you're looking for a good example. I can't stress enough how much more an enthusiast owned car of this age is worth over a generic car on a selling site, although there are some good ones that have been cared for by owners that have owned them for a long time out there, but enthusiasts generally tend to ensure maintenance routines are adhered to. Equally, there are some people that like the idea of owning a nice performance car (I suppose it was back in the day), but don't realise the importance of maintaining it. A poor ad doesn't mean its a bad example, but if your instinct tells you to walk away, do it! The key is to shop around for a car that has a good exterior as that is the major expense on these cars. My personal opinion is that if you are looking for performance, go VR6 all day long. A G60 can be tuned to be on par, or even exceed the performance of a VR6, but by doing it you're looking at supercharger rebuilds every 30k miles. IMO, its simply not worth it. You won't be disappointed once a VR6 hits 4k rpm, and the noise kicks in!

well guys I've finally bought a car a 1992 corrado G60 in red unmodified which at the moment is how its going to stay,pick it up on saturday and cant wait for the drive back,got to make the most of it sits only a weekend toy and I'm limited to 3000 miles a year,but may up it at some point interior is in very good nick

exterior good nick also,saturday i will be giving it a full valet ant then off out for another drive,pics will follow as soon as I've figured out how to upload pics.

Flash red G60's are pretty rare last time I looked. But you've made the right choice. My one, once I'd fixed all the serious issues the previous owner failed to mention, has been one of the most reliable cars i've owned. I get bored easy and although VR6's are great, the novelty wears off quick for me whereas driving a G60 is never dull.

Just be wary when driving it back and keep your ears open. Listen to the engine and how it sounds under load. Any strange rattles then can spell disaster pretty quickly. If your giving it some welly be sure not too over rev it on the down shifts as that is how most chargers die.