Bfstrachan

Behind fuel flap corroded

Any advice on what best to do with a badly corroded section behind the fuel flap. The filler pipe is fine, but around it is in bad shape - mainly bottom left corner.

I'd guess that you would be best to cut out the section & then refabricate using new metal (as i believe the repair panel for that section is the entire rear quarter

It might be a lot worse than you think......Mine on my storm was very bad. What i thought was gonna be a smallish fix quickly became very bad. I hope yours is only local.

You might be able to get a section cut from a breaker

Edit: I was being forgetful lol, mine was very bad :lol:

Edited by easypops

Yeah behind the flap area in the rear arch is a notorious dirt trap. When I tackled mine I noticed a distinct lack of under body sealant around that area. Provided the metal hasn't perforated, you should be able to cut it back to bare metal, treat, prime, paint then seal up with some under body gunk like 'Grey Stripe'.

Thanks guys, the corrosion is through and there is a good size hole - maybe a 10p size from the corner and corrosion all around it :(

just repaired mine

it had corroded where the pin for the central locking for the fuel filler flap passes through

I had no idea what it looked like it was that badly corroded just managed to fabricate a piece of metal

and tack it in position (difficult to mig weld in position) cut out the rot the best I could treated the

surrounding metal and hope to keep it at bay. then filled the area with seam sealer.

Also had to replace the fuel tank bracket at the wheel arch and unfortunately while trying to drill out the

spot welds still managed to drill into the boot through the arch (metal is that thin in this area)