Bfstrachan

Wet passenger footwell...

Just replaced the interiors my 1.8 16v. When I was scrubbing the carpets when all the seats were out I came across the sodden passenger side footwell! Any pointers on where to begin looking for the source?

Thanks!

It's quite common when there is a leak from the matrix that you get water in the footwell ..... Does it smell of coolant? If you search the forum you will find lots on this subject as its a reasonably common problem

But could be a number of other things hence why check for coolant smell. As if it doesn't could be a number of other things

Don't thank me..... Apparently it's a fairly time consuming job.... There is loads on here about it.... Some say dash out but some have found an easy route and done it dash in

Started looking at the how to posts and a bit gutted at this being one of the 1st jobs i have to tackle since only had the car a week!

It is mate.... Bit quiet tonight.... But sure if you post any questions tomorrow on how to do you should get some replies and help..

Have to say, water in the footwell also indicates that it rained really, really, fricking heavily.

On old cars, it's common to get flooding due to blocked drains. Had this a couple of times on the VR6 now with the recent ultra-heavy rains.

Can you point me in the direction of the drains and what's the best way to clear them, guessing length of wire of some sort? Also is there any workshop manuals on the corrado - other than the hugely expensive Bentley one?

Thanks.

Is the car using coolant.if it's not heater matrix will be fine.check it's got the cheap plastic cover over the heater vent under the bonnet

Check if it's using coolant, check under scuttle tray for leafs etc blocking the drains at each end leading to wheel well, check door membranes are intact.

I've not done a Corrado heater matrix, but can't see it being much different to a mk2 golf really. If it is then dash shouldn't need to come out.

Should mention that the fan only blows cold air - no hot at all! Coming into winter up here that will not do... So the matrix does sound like the most plausible fault?

heater matrix, sun roof, and the blower vent seal {foliage seal?} on the passenger side scuttle tray are all possible areas, as mentioned above, do you need to top up your cooling system ? if yes then its possible its the matrix, might just want to do it as preventative maintenance and piece of mind, just brought a mk4 golf v6 4motion and got the whole front end off already within 1st week , so i feel your pain with having to do jobs like this but it will be worth it...

Thought I would share a photo of the passenger side dash. I don't really know what should be there and what is really wrong with it. Maybe you all can make some sense of it?

Hmmm, guessing you can't upload from iPad? Will try via the laptop later...

Don't thank me..... Apparently it's a fairly time consuming job.... There is loads on here about it.... Some say dash out but some have found an easy route and done it dash in

having done the matrix in my valver I have no idea how anyone could wrestle the heater box out with the dash in

it was tricky enough not to twist or harm the Bowden cables with all the dash out of the way

Should mention that the fan only blows cold air - no hot at all! Coming into winter up here that will not do... So the matrix does sound like the most plausible fault?

if you do replace the matrix try to make sure you get a Valeo branded one as most others are rather inferior

also, I have a full guide with lots of pictures if that would help you. drop me a PM with your email addy & I can send it you

have a read of my build thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR-amp-1-8-16V-the-valver-has-heat!! if you want to see what you are facing as I have not long done one

hints are: hopefully have a garage to do it it, take your time, decent socket set & spanners, a coolant hose spring clamp tool (essential!!!!), lots of sticky labels, lots of envelopes to label & put the various screws etc in

Oh & from my experience it is worth renewing the heater box lining on the large flap which moves to control hot or cold air feed. I didn't do mine & as such although I get nice warm air it is not as toasty as in my VR

If you're not getting warm air, could be the matrix has been bypassed already

to the OP - my build thread also shows a simple matrix bypass so as you can compare to your own ;)

also - again from experience - check the thin plastic square ish shaped housing that covers your foliage cover

its is on the passenger side just below the wind screen

I had an issue where water was getting into the passenger footwell due to the above housing cover not being refitted correctly & was basically allowing the water to run straight into the open mesh of the foliage cover

I would also recommend lifting the passenger carpet up & removing the hard backed liner underneath it. the liner has a cushioning material on it which acts like a sponge.

I didn't realise quite how much water it held until I removed it & started to dry it off

I

also - again from experience - check the thin plastic square ish shaped housing that covers your foliage cover

its is on the passenger side just below the wind screen

I had an issue where water was getting into the passenger footwell due to the above housing cover not being refitted correctly & was basically allowing the water to run straight into the open mesh of the foliage cover

I would also recommend lifting the passenger carpet up & removing the hard backed liner underneath it. the liner has a cushioning material on it which acts like a sponge.

I didn't realise quite how much water it held until I removed it & started to dry it off

Thanks for the advice! I must be honest and say I am a wee bit overwhelmed at the amount of jobs building up that need to be tackled. I need to begin prioritising and getting through them. I had a look at the scuttle and the mesh box thing, there were a bunch of old leaves and dirt. The scuttle wasn't a great fit to the windscreen and on closer inspection the windscreen seals are shot! So, might any number of issues letting water in... Will smell the liquid tonight and try to tell if coolant or water. The coolant reservoir has not dropped in the 2 weeks I have owned the car, so like someone commented there may have been a bypass carried out at an earlier date? I haven't looked around the sunroof yet, and to be honest I am a bit tentative after hearing all the horror stories about them. All that said - I am loving the car and will no doubt enjoy the battle ahead.