SR_Neale

Best engine for towing

vr6 would not be top of my list for a mk1,only driven 1 a friend had ok in a straight line but no faster than my old abf mk1 which would kill it on a twisty road, think 4 cyl suits the light mk1 better.

Jamie you talked to the wrong bloke about a 2.7 bi turbo into a t3 mine is the only 1 I know of in this country remapped s4 340hp

Pics or it never happened :) We're building a house just now, but the garage is going to be rather large - once it's all done, I'll be looking for some projects :)

It's never been a question of strength, it's all about stability up hills and in wind. It'll pull it, but you'll be struggling to get the grip and you're risking being blown about a bit..

What about the 2.3 V5 engine, sound just as good as a vr6 if not a little bit better in my opinion.

I think you might be on to something. Have been looking into the v5 and it does seem to tick all the boxes plus they seem to be cheaper than their 1.8t equivalent.

I think you might be on to something. Have been looking into the v5 and it does seem to tick all the boxes plus they seem to be cheaper than their 1.8t equivalent.

Ive owned a couple of v5s, early agz is a vr6 less one cylinder but with variable inlet, will map to around 165 bhp with decat and exhaust. Late has aqn and is the same as bde less one cylinder so variable inlet and vvt on both cams.

The complexity is the same as with the 6 cylinder engines and the finished value less so i don't know why anyone would bother?

Edited by Dox

Cost is a major one. ie price of donner car. Also to fit a vr6 from what I can work out you have to fabricate new mounts or buy a kit from euro wise which is about $1200 (don't know what that works out in £'s) where as the mount kit for a v5 is £116 plus £150 for 100mm drive shafts. Also vr6 1.8t 2.0 16v into mk1 have been done whereas a v5 is a bit different. As for power gains over the original 1.8 8v should be enought for me.

Cost is a major one. ie price of donner car. Also to fit a vr6 from what I can work out you have to fabricate new mounts or buy a kit from euro wise which is about $1200 (don't know what that works out in £'s) where as the mount kit for a v5 is £116 plus £150 for 100mm drive shafts. Also vr6 1.8t 2.0 16v into mk1 have been done whereas a v5 is a bit different. As for power gains over the original 1.8 8v should be enought for me.

Look for Seat Toledo V5s as they are almost free, sell the wheels and electric seats and you'll be on your way to getting your money back.

The AGZ estate was a nice cruiser, pulled well from idle and made touring Cornish coastal roads effortless, where as a 1.8T required gear changes on the twisty roads making it a bit of a pain in comparison.

You'll need a VR6 gearbox (the V5 gearbox ratios wont really suit the MK1 and you'd have to change the drive cups from 108 mm to 100mm anyway).

if you need some 100mm drive shafts I got some in the garage

Cheers for the offer but until I have committed to a doner car or new engine I'm in no position to start buying stuff as I do like to change my plans.

Picked up my doner car today. It's a G60 rado I don't like to break a rado but body is to far gone to be worth while saving so the engine can live on. Not sure if it'll be any good for towing so won't use it for towing. I think I have a bit of a G60 obsession going on at the moment. Lol