VR-Sixy

Expansion Tank

Does anyone have a header tank/expansion tank for a VR6? Mine is now so dirty inside I can't see the water

level.... and they're almost impossible to clean. Your price paid.

Thanks.

Still available from vw,new
Hello Dave, thanks for this. Just found a new one on VW Heritage. Should have thunk before posting really!! :bonk:

Hello Dave, thanks for this. Just found a new one on VW Heritage. Should have thunk before posting really!! :bonk:

That is an aftermarket one rather that genuine VW and the Part Nr is different to Vagcat, which lists the VR one as 021121407? Think you will find that the one listed is a 1.8/2.0 4 cylinder one.

Ian.

I have a genuine VR6 one here which I removed when I did the MK4 upgrade. Part number is 021 121 407, it's pretty clean as can be seen and it's complete with the cap, side cover and mounting screws. Photos below. I'll drop you a PM re. price.

Bob

PC290006.jpg

PC290005.jpg

Edited by leon263

Early one's were black, later they changed to blue - They are all a sod to get off, hence why people do the Golf MK4 upgrade.

Ian.

A Blue cap is just a revision of the black one.

Allways get a new cap when doing the coolant change ;)

Apparently the black ones are prone to failing too. Heard a few reports of the pressure relief valve in failing to open causing a build up and much bigger problems. The blue one was supposed to replace it due to this.

I have a tank with blue cap for sale if anyone still needs one. £10 posted.

Stone

I'd be interested in this as mine has started to leak. What condition is it in?

Cheers

Dan

Pretty good, it's been replaced in the car's lifetime. Few dings in the cap as it used to occasionally get stuck when the coolant was hot and require mole grips to open :lol:

As above though, the caps are pretty much a one-use item, and pence from the scrappy. I may have an extra I can chuck in with it, I'll have a dig.

Yeah that would be great if you have one. I bought one of the blue caps a few years ago but it sounds like it might be a good idea to replace it if I'm swapping the tank anyway. If the tank is in good working order then I'll be happy to take it.