ryan_welshman

Braided brake flex pipes

Hey everyone.

Brake flexies are getting a bit tired and would like to upgrade to braided.

Need a good make, uk supplier and a decent price, not something astronomical!

Many thanks

I got mine made up by 'thebraidedhoseshop ' a seller on ebay. Cheaper than the goodridge and able to put on Any end you need. Which was perfect as I had upgraded to mk4 calipers.

ask if the ends are stainless , if not they fester fast if you use the car in winter

id stump up the extra for stainless ends

I got mine made up by 'thebraidedhoseshop ' a seller on ebay. Cheaper than the goodridge and able to put on Any end you need. Which was perfect as I had upgraded to mk4 calipers.

Are the carriers for the mk4 calipers the same? Or is it a complete swap out and major work to get them to fit?

You can keep your standard carriers and the mk4 calipers bolt straight on. Use your existing pads too if they're OK. Just the calipers and hoses required.

Braking efficiency is exactly the same, it's just a better design of caliper so they shouldn't seize with the cold weather as is very common on the standard ones.

If you want better breaking performance, the 288mm fronts from a late mk3 Golf Gti/vr6, some mk4 Golfs etc is a very worthwhile upgrade imo. You could even go up to 312mm if you wish for even better brakes, but the 288mm one are the largest you can go with standard wheels. Google it or Have a look in the wiki section, it's all been explained many times and far better than I can. :)

There is two different MK4 calipers to use, one is 38mm and the other 41mm.

I would belive that the 41mm version will make the car brake a little bit better.

But I have yet to test it out.

Original the caliper in the rear are 38mm so there is a 3mm increase.

There is two different MK4 calipers to use, one is 38mm and the other 41mm.

I would belive that the 41mm version will make the car brake a little bit better.

But I have yet to test it out.

Original the caliper in the rear are 38mm so there is a 3mm increase.

The pads and disks do the stopping, if they stay the same and the piston is enlarged from 38mm to 41mm the improvement in braking will be negligible IMO

The larger piston will need more fluid to move the same distance and will need more pedal travel because of this, something the Corrado could do without, so 38mm calipers for me

The pads and disks do the stopping, if they stay the same and the piston is enlarged from 38mm to 41mm the improvement in braking will be negligible IMO

The larger piston will need more fluid to move the same distance and will need more pedal travel because of this, something the Corrado could do without, so 38mm calipers for me

Okey, I use Pascal's Principle and you use your "IMO".

VW did uprate the calipers for a reason.

Besides that, braided hoses fixed the so called sponge pedal that all you guys are talking about.

But I also have a LHD car with a totaly different ABS pump so.

Edited by Wompa

Okey, I use Pascal's Principle and you use your "IMO".

VW did uprate the calipers for a reason.

Besides that, braided hoses fixed the so called sponge pedal that all you guys are talking about.

But I also have a LHD car with a totaly different ABS pump so.

The bigger the bucket the more water is needed to fill it to raise the level by the same amount

The bigger the bucket the more water is needed to fill it to raise the level by the same amount

Are we talking about buoyancy now?

Do what you want man :D

I know what I have read in my Flight Technician training books...

id go along with that too

you dont really want more braking at the rear anyway . 38mm that work as they should will be fine

Are we talking about buoyancy now?

Do what you want man :D

I know what I have read in my Flight Technician training books...

I'm looking forward to a brief review of your Flight Technician training books with great anticipation

MK2 (light weight and agile), MK3, MK4 Golf (fat and bloated) all used 38mm rear pistons and 54mm front pistons on there calipers from 1988 - 2004 (and maybe beyond?). Lucas / Girling / Teves / VW know a little about brakes I think?

As 80% of the braking is done by the front wheels adding a larger rear piston to the standard pad disk combination will add very little improvement IMO, if you wanted more rear braking force you could simply adjust the rear axle load sensing valve to give more rear bias - not recommended for road use.