robrado974

Removing paint from the door handles .

Evening chaps,

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove paint from my door handles ? . They were painted when the car was resprayed . Six years on and I want to go back to black oem. I only ask as looking at the prices on flea bay , they ain't cheap .

Thanks

Rob

I think a bit of thinners on a sponge would get it back eventually Rob. You could try to rub it down a little bit first, but just be careful you don't damage the slightly textured plastic.

Thanks Sean . I may well give it s go . I'm a little concerned it could turn out messy though and I end up with nasty looking handles . Looking at the bay , you wouldn't have thought handles would be that expensive, not exactly a rare item .

If you do find a reasonable price set mate, just bare in mind they differ slightly from early/late cars if you didn't know. The early ones have a lip around the lock barrel where as the later ones are more flush.

Yep , your right mate , they do differ . If I get no joy in removing the paint I will be keeping a look out .

If you do find a reasonable price set mate, just bare in mind they differ slightly from early/late cars if you didn't know. The early ones have a lip around the lock barrel where as the later ones are more flush.

They do differ but I'm sure it's other way round chaps

They do differ but I'm sure it's other way round chaps

Think you're right Chris, just couldn't be arsed to go outside in the cold and wet to be sure! lol

Could you rub them down a little and then paint them a satin or matt black. No need to worry about them fading then. I thought of doing mine and the rubstrips as all the back to black type products I've used never last very long.

You can buy textured paint for any decent paint supply shop and fleabay. I would flat them down with 800 wet and dry then use the texture paint after a coat of plastic adhesions promoter. I wouldn't use any type of thinners or brake fluid as it will damage the plastic. I also have some early one in good condition if all else fails.

I think the lines of the car look cleaner without them . But I think I will be putting them back on in the future , sometime.