EJ Taylor

BREMBO retrofit on the Corrado, anyone done this? What ones fit?

Something to bear in mind for people changing callipers over to 4-pot is that they create a very unique pedal feel in the Corrado due to the fact the master cylinder can't be easily uprated to match the amount of fluid that needs to flow to move 4 pistons rather than 1.

In my car for instance, the pedal has more initial movement before they really bite. Once they do they are fantastic but for people who've never driven the car before it can be a little disconcerting having to push the pedal so far.

If you're never going on track, or the car is running near standard power I wouldn't bother. Just get some good 288's or 312's, good fluid, braided hoses, good pads etc and you'll be golden.

Also, pads for the more bespoke 4-pot callipers are very expensive. For my AP's a full set is around £150-200. If you want track pads like pagid greys (RS15's) it's £250+

good point thanks Mic

personally, the pedal feel on my VR is terrible compared to my valver

yes my abs is not the best but since moving to USR discs & green stuff pads i dont lock up anymore when heavy braking, which was done very easily on the prior genuine VW discs/pads, but unless you stomp on the VR pedal it is very squidgy

even when you stomp on it it is only very firm for a moment & then it depresses further

my main issue with bigger brakes is most need bigger wheels, which pushes the costs way out of reach

AFAIK only 288's will fit under a 15" speedline & if i was to invest in those i would be buying calipers which are second hand & thus i have no idea of their 'real' condition whilst also needing all the other parts too - i am going to try & compare the cost if i can

whereas obviously the hispec would be all fresh & new etc

as for pads Mic - hispec gave me a price of £43.50 for a pair of EBC green stuff - which from memory is pretty good & nowhere near the bespoke prices you mention

i believe the hoses are very good value too as £20 odd a side seems cheaper than goodridge braids for example - unless they are non-braided but i think they were

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Correct - note to self, read the first post

lol

no danger fella, easy mistakea to makea ;)

as i say, for me it is about fitting under a 15" speedline

288s then! Personally I think the biggest single difference you can make is braided lines

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

i understand your point but to go to 288's will need all of the other parts replacing too, not just calipers & they would be used & of unknown quality

once ive added all the discs, pads, carriers, bolts, hoses etc the total cost could be very close

has anyone got a ball park figure to go to 288's?

How much longer are 288mm MK3 disks going to be available?

Prices are difficult to quote as quality will vary and if you're upgrading you'll want the best available rather than budget?

How much longer are 288mm MK3 disks going to be available?

Prices are difficult to quote as quality will vary and if you're upgrading you'll want the best available rather than budget?

quality & budget are always a determining factor

ive checked the wiki & unfortunately nothing about 288's - also struggling to find a decent thread in drivetrain section

however, there is a 312 setup estimation - which without pads is already at £350

When it comes to brake work I'm going 288s when the time comes as the 280 set up will be sold on to the 4 stud crowd for more than the 288s cost me and as I'll need disks and pads anyway the difference in there cost will be negligible, so its hoses and fluid and whatever to refurb the callipers.

When it comes to brake work I'm going 288s when the time comes as the 280 set up will be sold on to the 4 stud crowd for more than the 288s cost me and as I'll need disks and pads anyway the difference in there cost will be negligible, so its hoses and fluid and whatever to refurb the callipers.

i appreciate your thoughts thanks Dox

a question if i may - what would make you choose the 288 route over the hispec route?

i would imagine that once a refurb cost to refresh the 288 calipers was added to the other parts it would push the total to near the hispec cost for brand new kit

also the stated 'popular choice' on the billet 4 have 38mm pistons - does anyone know the 288 piston size?

i appreciate your thoughts thanks Dox

a question if i may - what would make you choose the 288 route over the hispec route?

i would imagine that once a refurb cost to refresh the 288 calipers was added to the other parts it would push the total to near the hispec cost for brand new kit

also the stated 'popular choice' on the billet 4 have 38mm pistons - does anyone know the 288 piston size?

I've broken a few MK4s so I have a few pairs of them and 312s on the shelf, I've bought new Goodrich lines, disks and pads from the classifieds here and elsewhere.

I'll strip and blast the callipers myself. Both my cars are currently SORN due to lack of time ATM

I've broken a few MK4s so I have a few pairs of them and 312s on the shelf, I've bought new Goodrich lines, disks and pads from the classifieds here and elsewhere.

I'll strip and blast the callipers myself. Both my cars are currently SORN due to lack of time ATM

i see - now that makes much more sense if you already have parts

looking at purple toms old sale thread he was selling the 288 calipers for £40

I've sold them for £40 posted on the understanding they were fully working when removed but require inspection / overhaul before reusing.

GSF have Brembo disks at £52 each, use the weekend voucher code for 40+% off?

They do Vetech pads too, but they're not for me so I'd look elsewhere

OE pads

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AUDI-A1-A3-VW-GOLF-PASSAT-FRONT-BRAKE-PADS-4-288MM-312MM-DISCS-/191807010007?hash=item2ca896b4d7:g:sEsAAOSwUuFWvfMk

Edited by Dox

288 calipers refurbed were £70 a side exchanged when I had mine done recently, discs were about £100 from Euro

thanks that is very helpful

so, about £140 for 288 refurb, plus £40 ish for the calipers themselves

goodridge hoses at £114

best part of £300 & still need discs & pads

do people normally sell the carriers & any bolts needed with the 288 calipers?

thanks that is very helpful

so, about £140 for 288 refurb, plus £40 ish for the calipers themselves

goodridge hoses at £114

best part of £300 & still need discs & pads

do people normally sell the carriers & any bolts needed with the 288 calipers?

You don't have to go the goodridge route, you can fit MK3 banjo front hoses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-GTI-16V-VR6-FRONT-BRAKE-HOSE-288MM-DISCS-1H0611701B-A98-/200847294712?fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item2ec36e80f8:m:m37Ra7B_mzOCya5koeCWK-A