jonesyraddo

abs sensors

Morning guys, iam going to be doing the rear abs sensors on my vr6, and was wondering if the ons off ebay are any good or would you get them from vw?

I wouldn't go for the mega cheap ones on ebay tbh, but pretty sure they're extortionate from VW. Get decent branded ones from GSF or ECP. GSF discount code posted this morning for 49% off too.

Morning guys, iam going to be doing the rear abs sensors on my vr6, and was wondering if the ons off ebay are any good or would you get them from vw?

Cheaps not best, unless you want to do the job twice... Go for a branded component the best you can afford.

Ordered mine from GSF or ECP, can't remember, but got the ones that were about £15 and they are working fine, its the first time in 9yrs i've had working ABS :lol:

VW charge a silly amount for them, i remember asking and thinking i'd rather try the cheap one, they aren't exactly a complicated thing.

Awesome thanks I'll have a look again tonight and get some orderd. another quick question, is it much of a job to change them?

Simple job in so far as unplug from under seat, push grommet/plug though hole, undo bolt on sensor, remove job lot and replace.....However, we're talking Corrado here so I'll never be so simple....you'll find the sensor has rusted itself in place and to get it out you'll need to remove the rear disk and batter the old one out with a socket.

I read what a pain it could be so took it to my mechanic and it was. I told him he wouldn't get it out without destroying the old sensor and while he almost managed it, when knocking the sensor out (punch through the nut whole) it snapped in too and the disk had to come off.

Pagid sensors from Euros are ok, but by preference Genuine from TPS is the way to go.

Fitting is a little more than just a nut and bolt mission. But as said by others, it's typical to strip away the discs to gain access and then drive them out with a stout punch. Before fitting the new sensors you will need to clean out the holes into which they fit and ensure the sensors are not forced at all into the location point. Not a bad job at all and well within the able enthusiast remit. Point to note, it's worth changing the abs rotors pressed onto the inner disc at the same time, as these corrode badly and can cause abs issues by changes to the critical air gap, or scuff your new sensors.

Edited by 16VG60