Sign in to follow this  
Scott

VR6 mis-fire...

Mmmmmmmmmm

This morning I thought I would take the VR6 to work.... she was flying along nicely - felt very strong on the power... but twice when coming out of roundabouts on acceleration she mis-fired quite hard once or twice... something is up... yesterday I started her up and she idled fine for couple of mins then cut out suddenly... a nightmare to get started again but once did - was fine..

Plugging in vagcom tonight and checking plugs..... ignition switch replaced 12 months ago so dont think it can be that.

Any pointers?

Have you got a coilpack or a Dizzy? Sounds like a dodgy lead failing as it flexes to me... Could also be a mildly blocked fuel filter starving the engine of fuel...

could be all sorts. fuel, fuel pump,l coilpacl, leads, plugs, any one of numerous sensors.

see if you have any error codes logged.

Yup - first action is to plug in vagcom.... will post up if error codes.

Fuel filter was changed 3 weeks ago for genuine VAG one.

Ignition Leads are only 12 months old although they are GSF stuff... :oops:

BBT leads by any chance? I put a set of those on mine. 1 of them fell apart when fitting to the car and then it ran on 3 cylinders. Top quality.

The coilpack is not monitored by VAG-COM, so you may not get any codes at all, which is a good thing cause it can only be the pack then.....

look at the engine in the dark when it's running, you can see the sparks then if any of your leads or the coil pack is arcing out. you can usually hear it too.

Will give it a whirl...

Kev: yep they are indeed BBT leads.... mine fell apart last year and I was desperate for a set quickly.... GSF stumped up the goods - if they are shot reckon can get replaced FOC? :oops: lol - forgot all about them to be honest!

Where can I get some decent ones cheap? - might replace them for the heck of it....

well, I'm afraid those leads reallt aren't worht sh1t and will cause you lots of problems.bin them and get some geuine BERU ones or a decent quality silicone aftermarket lead.

Yeah I thought as much too mate - but like I said was desperate at the time and forgot all about them....

Where can I get some sensibly priced BERU or blue igniter leads?

eeurgh, did someone say blue igniters?!?! they are just as bad!! my mate had bother with magnecors on his g60 too.

I've just had a set custom made by these guys.

http://www.wires4cars.com

8mm silicone, black, with heat sheilding, custom made to suit the schrcik vgi, and with OE BERU connectors too. not bad for about £70. Pics coming when they turn up sometime this week.

in fact, I feel another group buy coming on! what do you guys think?

There's nothing wrong with Blue Igniters. They also have genuine or BREMI ends (just as good as BERU, if not better) and mine have been on and off the car more times than I care to remember, stood on, yanked accidentally etc etc and they're still working just fine.

The worst quality ones I've tried so far are Magnecor and BBT. Original BERUs are fine but £17 each and red isn't to everyone's taste.

K

The DEFO cant be red :cry:

They HAVE to be blue or black.... :lol:

What sort of money are we talking about for the blue igniters or the custom made ones?

have you had your head rebuilt scott??if not check your plugs for oiling up,mine does exactly what your saying now and again...and there is fcuk all wrong with magnecor leads..had them on mine for ages now

Nope not yet - still getting bits together...

Checked plugs and they are fine - white crusty deposits.

Checked fault codes = NONE! :shock:

Whats next ? :)

White crusty deposits with a grey/black centre electrode indicates a good burn and if all 6 are exactly the same, you've got a healthy engine there. Although having said that, my plugs were the same at 93K but I had the head done anyway as a matter of course and it makes one hell of a difference to a VR.

You become accustomed to gradual wear over time. With a new head on, bottom end and midrange is way, way stronger :lol: You don't notice a worn head at high rpm cause so much air is sucked in and the valves barely touch the seats.

Anyway, back to leads. Blue Igniters are £70ish from C&R Enterprises.

I didn't think you'd get any codes. Try the water spray trick when it gets dark. Is the missing load related or permanently?

Coilpack issues normally reveal themselves under load as the plugs need a stronger spark. A dead pack can give a normal idle as the required spark is less. I reckon it's those chod BBT leads personally... get em off!

K

Top bank of cylinders have white crusty plugs... the bottom bank have clean plugs... very strange but it seems as though the engine is alot healthier than thought... cylinder head is definately coming off though Kev... got most of the bits now so will be started as soon as my engine man says he is ready to go (very busy at mo)

£70 for a set of leads aint bad - these BBT ones cost me £50... might see if can get that refunded :-P

Will try water trick later

Mis-fire is load related and ONLY ever happens when I accelerate off a round about :?: - fine at all other times.....

Leads are going in the bin (once have tried to get dosh back :lol: )

Scott

Well my missus has just been out in the VR and informed me that its going like a rocket and no evidence of misfire.... strange that - the only thing that I have disturbed is the leads / plugs.... so guess what I'm getting next :lol:

Cheers guys.

Scott

What reckon to these:

Wireset For VW CORRADO (VR6) CORRADO VR6 (without distributor) 1

- Wire Size 8mm

- Wire Color Blue

- Sleeve 1200 Deg. F High Temp - Blue

From the website that Phat got his from.... .$137.99 - thats what £70? :)

if you want anything from them gimme a shout. my US contact is good mates with the bloke who runs the firm so I may be able to get you them cheaper.

I know i'm a bit slow off the mark with this but I'm sure you'll find it's the leads - i had the exact same problem on a VR6 which was only 4 yrs old at the time - harsh misfiring when pulling away in say 2nd gear off a roundabout - i.e at low revs and under load, other than that it was fine - new leads sorted it totally but I bought original ones at the time.