Rich the Chef

'O' ring on radiator top fitting VR6

I've just discovered my vr6 has sprung a coolant leak from the top of the radiator. It's the solid plastic fitting that has two 10mm bolts holding it in and connects to the top hose. The problem appears to be a skinny o ring and bodged ptfe tape.

Where can I buy a correct o ring from? One with the necessary thickness to make the seal? Or can anyone give me a part number or measurement please.

I've seen one on eBay from Greece, but sellers away and I'd like to get fixed this weekend....

I've just discovered my vr6 has sprung a coolant leak from the top of the radiator. It's the solid plastic fitting that has two 10mm bolts holding it in and connects to the top hose. The problem appears to be a skinny o ring and bodged ptfe tape.

Where can I buy a correct o ring from? One with the necessary thickness to make the seal? Or can anyone give me a part number or measurement please.

I've seen one on eBay from Greece, but sellers away and I'd like to get fixed this weekend....

You need one of these https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/corrado/535121687/seal-for-water-take-off-535-121-647-mk2-golf/?crumbStartPage=3&crumbStartRow=66

Make sure there are no cracks in the plastic elbow. VW Heritage sell these too but are out of stock until next week.

I purchased a new o ring and elbow from VW heritage at the start of the year and the o ring was very loose and did not seal at all. I ended up buying a new aluminium rad that comes with the top elbow welded on.

Fraser

I did the same bought a set of 300 different size o rings for about £7 from amazon. link from someone on here and has worked fine since. If you live anywhere near Hastings East Sussex Rich I'll drop u one round.

Be very careful undoing the two bolts holding down the hose elbow, they screw into captive nuts cast into the plastic top tank of the radiator. If they are corroded, (they will be.....) the nuts will spin and break the radiator itself, and then you will need to replace the whole thing. Give the bolts a really good soaking in WD40 over several days before trying to undo them.

Best wishes

RB

Ive had a nightmare trying to seal mine. I managed to get a replacement elbow of a bloke who advertises on ebay. Ordered it on the monday night and it arrived wednesday. However it still leaked and that was with a new o ring too. Think I might have a dodgy rad or something? I would be interested in one of those all ally rads with the elbow built in. How much were they and where from?

Thanks everyone for the replys.

I have already removed the elbow and it came off ok. The o ring in there is about half the thickness of the indent in the flange.

Hoping a new one will do the trick.thanks to 'it's not a scirocco' for the kind offer. Sadly I'm miles away

I'd have put the old o-ring back in with a good smear of blue gasket sealer as a temporary fix until the new one arrives.