FrankyEight

I've got nothing to worry about...

I've always used 205 wide, that's what it came with from the factory, am thinking i'll try the 195 next

Sorry, should have been a little clearer. Not concerned about the extra expense, but they'll fit fine won't they?

Am I right in thinking that the 16v came on 195mm and VR6 on 205mm?

They will be hardly noticeably different, I doubt you will have issues.

Yes the VR6 came with 205 for a bit of extra grip, but it also came with the plus suspension with a wider track and 5 stud hubs.

I have found the choice of tyres in 205/50/15 diminishing rapidly but 295/50/15 is probably still relatively common.

Does the VR6 have a wider track than a late 16v? I thought the styling changes required for the VR6 lump were carried across the range?

Does the VR6 have a wider track than a late 16v? I thought the styling changes required for the VR6 lump were carried across the range?

There are two aspects to this - the exterior facelift (bump bonnet, slightly wider wings) and changes underneath for the VR - I think what's referred to as 'plus axle'.

The later 4 cylinder motors got the exterior facelift treatment but I believe the running gear (hubs, etc) remained the same as before. The plus axle stuff was only fitted to the VR6 to correspond with the bigger motor.

In terms of what tyres to run - I run 195's on my VR (90% for cost / availability reasons, 10% because I think they look less 'balloon' like) so I don't see why putting 205's on a 16v would cause any real issues. But not sure why you would given they're a fair bit more expensive! :)

Cheers for clearing that up.

Considering changing to 205mm as 195mm looks a little skinny!? My 'old' 1.8T had 205mm tyres, but then again it had 'tractor style' 55mm profiles too...

I guess I need to see the price differences too.

Cheers for clearing that up.

Considering changing to 205mm as 195mm looks a little skinny!? My 'old' 1.8T had 205mm tyres, but then again it had 'tractor style' 55mm profiles too...

I guess I need to see the price differences too.

Correct size on the car should be 195/50/15 - worth checking to make sure someone hasn't fitted a lower side profile tyre? Price wise, you're looking at least another 30-40% per tyre.

So 195's might be 40-50 quid, and 205's of the same model would probably into the 70-80 quid sort of ballpark - I think only because 195 is still a relatively common size whereas the 205's aren't so much.

Just a thought - what about on 17s? Is 195/40/17 common and indeed ok? Thinking of doung this to cure a slight rubbing issue on the rear wheels.

What width wheels Hasan?

195 is used but that gives quite a lot of stretch on say 7.5" wheels. Mine are this side and I run 205 which gives a little stretch and no issues with rubbing on an offset of 35.

This is for the tt comps. I *think* they're 7.5j but et is 31. In fact its only the rear lhs tyre that rubs. What would you suggest?

Edited by fla