culshaw

Culshaw's VR6

A couple of weeks ago I took a train up to Northampton and came back with this green pearl beauty. Completely rust free.

Needs a bit of work, there’s a few things to sort out but that is nothing new!

- Bonnet cable snapped and the driver side trumpet has snapped

- Drivers side scraper seal missing

- Leak underneath the car :(

- Mysterious unconnected plug, seems to be long enough to fit in the bumper

- Passenger side door handle only works if you press on it

- Horrendous gear knob

JF1uw5Y.jpg?1

IjqWPwK.jpg?1

Not sure about the cone filter, would love a standard airbox here

pEUnBRg.jpg?1

Bonnet trumpet snapped!

W9xxElR.jpg?1

Mysterious unplugged switch.

BJT66dS.jpg?1

Oil leak

2Yd4NbC.jpg?1

Ghetto bonnet release

l8JQ80b.jpg?1

Fixed the ABS light, it wasn't connected to the surround (pictured)

Congrats on the purchase. The sensor is for the outside temp. Fits into a hole in the rad support just behind and below the rhs indicator.

You could put a metal shroud around the air filter to get more cool air rather than hot air from the engine

For the oil leak, check the two oil pressure senders, especially if the oil seems to be coming down the filter housing.

Bonnet cable trumpets are now available through VW heritage. I saw it on ebay the other day.

Congrats on the purchase. The sensor is for the outside temp. Fits into a hole in the rad support just behind and below the rhs indicator.

You could put a metal shroud around the air filter to get more cool air rather than hot air from the engine

thanks!

For the oil leak, check the two oil pressure senders, especially if the oil seems to be coming down the filter housing.

ok will check

Bonnet cable trumpets are now available through VW heritage. I saw it on ebay the other day.

yeah, i've got my eye on them but they're out of stock for now

Sorry the sensor fits into the bumper iron (iirc) not the rad support.

Pulled her out the garage earlier, there's a funny lip at the entrance so it catches on the wishbones; bought some c-spanners to lift it 10mm or so87d4b1f22961f19be848237188a4f0af.jpg

Sorry the sensor fits into the bumper iron (iirc) not the rad support.

It fits into a little hole down the bottom / front of the bumper skin - in the black plastics in the lower air intake grille bit, on the drivers side.

Bit of an update.

I've had it in the garage for a good look over and service to make sure I haven't bought a stinker.

They're all very impressed, engine didn't need chains doing either.

Problem is the suspension is just too low so in anger I've bought a B12 kit. Hope I've made the right decision!

I ordered direct from Bilstein and according to the exchange rate it'll be around £70 cheaper than the UK suppliers.. http://www.bilstein-shop.com/

Hopefully!

Edited by culshaw

So I got the B12's fitted along with a major service at my local garage.. wanted to take it for a spirited drive and beep beep beep goes the oil light buzzer!!! It didn't happen before...

They replaced the oil filter so either they've knocked the sensor and i just need to sort that out. or they've used **** oil and its giving a bad reading grrr

After fitting my kit I had a 2 finger gap at the rear arch and a 3 finger gap at the front, is yours the same?

After 1000 miles and a bit of settling the rear is noticeably lower than the front and much firmer too. I got onto my supplier who reported the issue to Bilstein,I filled out a detailed checklist supplied by them and they're response was 'there is a known issue with some cars of that model which require a different rear spring'. Sounds a bit like bull* to me but we'll see. I'm waiting for a replacement set to arrive.

After fitting my kit I had a 2 finger gap at the rear arch and a 3 finger gap at the front, is yours the same?

After 1000 miles and a bit of settling the rear is noticeably lower than the front and much firmer too. I got onto my supplier who reported the issue to Bilstein,I filled out a detailed checklist supplied by them and they're response was 'there is a known issue with some cars of that model which require a different rear spring'. Sounds a bit like bull* to me but we'll see. I'm waiting for a replacement set to arrive.

Not quite mine sits about 5 fingers between front axle, and about 3 at the back. I hope it stays as it is, or myabe 5mm difference I'm getting 0 rub, scrapes or anything which is a stark contrast to before.

No its true. A few have had issues. If you look on seanjaymos old members gallery, he and the new owner have posted about the whole process, and the end result with the new vs old springs side by side.

Culshaw your cars looking nice mate. I like to see pictures of a classic green in standard, as that's where mine is trying to get.

Good luck with the suspension

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Culshaw your cars looking nice mate. I like to see pictures of a classic green in standard, as that's where mine is trying to get.

Good luck with the suspension

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, the only mod I'm going to make is put some brembo's on the front, and therefore bigger wheels. The stock brakes really are pony. Got some BBS RC's so it won't look too modified.

Plus it needs a wash, I haven't washed it since i bought it!

Edited by culshaw

No its true. A few have had issues. If you look on seanjaymos old members gallery, he and the new owner have posted about the whole process, and the end result with the new vs old springs side by side.

Thanks, I'm on it

Took delivery of some BBS RC324's today. Will get them on a little later in the year when money is a bit more shored up. There's 215/40/17's on them and I'm unsure if they will rub.

Edited by culshaw

RC's really suit a Rado, are those calipers gonna fit behind them though!

RC's really suit a Rado, are those calipers gonna fit behind them though!

they're 17's so they'd better!

they're 17's so they'd better!

Depends on the caliper, I had a 4 pot Brembo set up with 323 discs, needed 8mm spacers on the RCs

The 45 profile on the tyres will send your speedo out, better with 205 40's