Philuk

Power steering pump issues

Story goes

Fitted brand new pump. Filled up with fluid some fluid went through filled it up as much as I thought it needed. Couldn't get the steering to bleed. Took it to the garage who diagnosed a duff pump. Sent them a new one, fitted it they said it work fine for a minute and then went heavy again, suspected another pump. I said I would change it this time and took it away. Now I'm stuck, why would the car chew through 2 pumps when they are pretty much indestructible!

I've got another new pump from work but am a bit dubious about fitting it incase it just shafts it again, I did wonder if I had fitted the pulley the correct way but it seems all is fine there. I've stripped the pumps that it's shafted and they both look like the impellar has been forced into the back part of the housing. The pulley has been powdercoated and so has the mounting bracket. Anyone think this could be the problem? I just wanted to check before I fit another pump and it potentially does the same. Ps before anyone says there is grit in there this is the old one I have taken off. I stripped it on the floor so that's where the grit has come from

9c92a2513005e03bbd8a9335abdc3fa5.jpge2bd60c485143a0088fa68bd0f50c8e1.jpg1cb18276ff74c146fb1014750f18d2ac.jpg1860af9e7fa8019f71963ee7d53d6153.jpgc6361611a9b9604c3df8e04ba2181b79.jpg

Strange , I can't see How powder coating would cause any problems Phil . Something has to be amiss with the fitting ?

Could it not be the valving in the rack rather than the pump? When you say it wouldn't bleed what were the symptoms? Was it groaning like it was pumping to the rack even when you weren't turning the wheel?

No, It's heavy steering, take off the high pressure hose and no fluid comes through either so it's definatly the pump

what was your reason for changing the pumps to begin with?, last time I replaced the pump I tried to bleed through as much as possible without the car running, turning the pump by hand without belt also front end jacked up turn left-right full lock a few times and then again with belt on and running,

This sounds all too familiar to the same problems I had after rebuilding mine in 2014.

Mine chewed 3 pumps.

Caused we think after muchos hair pulling trying to solve it:

Metallic dust contaminating the PAS fluid system. Likely from blasting prior to powdercoating of varying parts.

Pump out the last batch of fluid you have in the system and very carefully inspect it, if it's the same problem I had you'll find very tiny sparkly/metallic particles in your fluid.

This we think ate the insides of 3 pumps.

We eventually solved the problem but flushing the system with numerous litres of PAS fluid, replacing pump and then finally fresh fluid + bleed.

Best of luck.

Edited by StueyB

Tbh it's only the pulley that was powdercoated, the rack and pump and pipes were all brand new and hand painted, I've drained all the fluid out that I can and have installed the new pump, cleaned out the inside of the pulley and it sits a lot more freely on the pump so I'm hoping its problem solved. I span the pump by hand and hopefully it will be sorted! If not ill flush again and again to try and clear it all! Thanks for the advice :)

New pump on, steering works fine when the car is revved but is heavy when it's on idle, the car is idling a bit poor ATM so I'm hoping it's just that..

Still no joy, no steering, filled and drained of fluid a good few times, put a new rack on, new pipes, fitted a new pump and also a genuine one that works...... Any more ideas

Pipes at the rack end are definitely the right way round? That's the kind of thing I'd do!

Topmounts binding so excessive force is needed by the pumps?

Depends how far you've stripped it down. Aren't the fittings a standard brake union at the rack end and on the small pipes actually on the rack?

Depends how far you've stripped it down. Aren't the fittings a standard brake union at the rack end and on the small pipes actually on the rack?

Was stripped down to a bare rack and loose pipes but I think the pipework is bent so it won't fit another way, maybe someone has a picture of the rack from under their car so I could check it

Topmounts binding so excessive force is needed by the pumps?

Possibly, isn't something I have checked, wonder what they could be binding against?