Will.I.Dub

Bilstein B12 kit question

Hi guys, just got a B12 kit for my VR with plus suspension, fitting instructions say I do away with the VR springplate 357 412 341 A and use 1 H0 412 341 A. From what I can see that is the older type spring plate and presumably I need the corresponding older type top mount. Any help greatly appreciated!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hi Will, I had this issue not too long ago.

you just need the plate and not the mount. This is only to accommodate the larger diameter springs.

VW heritage list them, but i got mine from TPS, little more expensive but quicker turn around.

Alex

Thanks Alex, so would that be the combination pictured below? They don't seem to sit particularly well together. I'll give it a go!

e63d44e9a89f31e19bcf7183a1b71c3d.jpg

90f2b21748020d142feeb552c83b8564.jpg

123bf8918899058da15efc6579c83eae.jpg

fc0ed26caa0bcbe5e9b415d99172a7bd.jpg

So here's how it sits on the B12s

f7d981c65fe53eb464ecd2f941caa4e3.jpg

e5b09072a5c6d71e2204ee2521e80134.jpg

Three finger gap at the front, two at the back, I will let it settle for a couple of hundred miles and see if the front comes down a little.

Edited by Will.I.Dub

So as grrrallye correctly says the early VR top spring plate is required. Pics for reference

65da4966e06128d0e976c84cdea6316a.jpg

674212633197c10dde119f964086609d.jpg

On left is '90 valver, center early VR and right late VR

Despite the offset difference of the flat face the early and late VR plates don't look too different. What is the effect of using the late VR plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diameter of the top of the spring is smaller in the later version, the B12 kit has a larger diameter spring despite being 'plus axle' specific

So as grrrallye correctly says the early VR top spring plate is required. Pics for reference

65da4966e06128d0e976c84cdea6316a.jpg

674212633197c10dde119f964086609d.jpg

On left is '90 valver, center early VR and right late VR

This explains a lot to me, i thought there was only two, the left and right one. When i tried fitted early style suspension spring i ended up with the left plate and thought it didn't work too well, so bought different suspension :lol:

Little update, about 500 miles after fitting the B12s the front had a 3 finger gap and the rear settled to barely two. It felt horrible on the rear, almost sitting on the bump stops all the time and a bit nose up. Weight distribution obviously felt all wrong. After a bit of research here and talking to my supplier and filling out ride height info forms for Bilstein they supplied me with a pair of replacement rear springs.

From L - R first supplied spring, replacement in centre and stock on right

4a44aa19a2dcd1f863f947d4644ab55a.jpg

How it sits now on 16s

44ca40cd6619cf7a297c0e49c41703be.jpg

Great setup on the road, not at all crashy but nicely firm and planted

Edited by Will.I.Dub

Looks good. I bought a set of these and fear I will have to get replacement springs too when the time comes to fit them.

Sent from my SM-J500H using Tapatalk

Me too, although the ones I have fitted are the ones you had as replacements. I used SeanJaymos thread as a reference, and I've just provided part numbers and measurements to Bilstein via Demon Tweeks. Will see how it pans out.......

Bit of a hot topic for a few of us at the moment that bought this kit a while ago but are only just getting round to fitting. Has anyone got the measurements of the length of the faulty Spring against the length of the new spring (would the length of the faulty Spring have reduced in use, does it need to be taken before put on)

This is the rear Spring in the kit sat in my garage!? Is this the same part number as your faulty one?

71abe8797a898a4dbc92deb36ade51b0.jpg

The part number is the same but the markings are different and they're marked Eibach B/Y where yours are Eibach A/N.

The numbers are incorrect spring: Eibach B/Y EW 85 13 002 HA

Replacement spring they sent: Eibach KRA 90501, 85 02 002 HA, C/Q 8530

To my mind it makes a bit of a myth out of the 'matched spring & damper for your specific car' sales line.

Edited by Will.I.Dub

Early and late VRs had different spring lengths, even though they were both "PLUS" 5-stud wide-track suspension set-ups. Mine is a 93, and was noticeably lower than any later 94 or 95 cars I've seen, and that was on stock suspension with 35K miles on it when I bought it. If you check the parts list, you'll see that the shocks are more less the same but the springs differ in length, and the part numbers are different based on chassis number.

The spring plates were then also changed - that's your mystery there - after-market suspension suppliers don't cater to this difference and only offer 4-stud or 5-stud set-ups (normal or Plus Achsel) for Corrados and Mk2/3 Golfs because it doesn't make sense for them to manufacture parts for all the variations.

This is why the front spoiler also changed in height from 90 to 50 mm on later cars - customers felt the car sat too low and the spoiler was rubbing on the ground.

That's my two cents input into this particular classic VW mystery anyway.

This is the post I used as reference, and linked it into an email as further evidence for Eibach.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?80155-Corrado-Part-Duex-24V-Aqua-Blue-She-s-gone&p=1091997&viewfull=1#post1091997

I have the 3002 set fitted, but believe it should be the other spring set sent out in this link (2002). As you can see, its clearly longer.

Edited by seanl82

This is the post I used as reference, and linked it into an email as further evidence for Eibach.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?80155-Corrado-Part-Duex-24V-Aqua-Blue-She-s-gone&p=1091997&viewfull=1#post1091997

I have the 2002 set fitted, but believe it should be the other spring set sent out in this link. As you can see, its clearly longer.

c26e754a539f1541fa0602435ec9af06.jpg

On the left is the original that was sent out and settled way too low, number Ew 8513002, the replacement is 8502002