Sign in to follow this  
bigbob

Servicing - every 6k ?

hi at what interval should i be changing the oil and filter on a G reg 16v

i presume it is every 6k..

Book says 12 months / 10,000 miles I think, but will certainly help prolong engine life if you can do it every 6 months or 5,000 miles or something :)

Mine gets fresh oil/filter every 6 months-ish. Generally 4-5000 miles.

I figure it's a trivial sum of money and it's got to be worth it!

Mine gets fresh oil/filter every 6 months-ish. Generally 4-5000 miles.

I figure it's a trivial sum of money and it's got to be worth it!

yip i'm every 6 months /5-6k miles.........fully synthetic everytime too......so well within its parimeters :wink:

i was once told, buy a guy who is an ex VAG technician, who has ran his own business for many years servicing, modifying and building VW's, that he'd never even dream of leaving any oil in an engine for more than 5000K. I've stuck to this religiously ever since, buying those 25litre drums of silver synta semi synthetic and changing it at least every 6 months (usually 5K, sometimes every 3K if I'm not doing many miles) with a genuine Mann or Hengst filter (OE quality as they make all the VW ones anyway).

needless to say, my engines are always spotlessly clean inside, and I've never yet had a single one fail through engine wear.

depends on the engine and the plug... Bosch w6dpo (G60 platinum) plugs are rated at upto 60K miles useage before replacement! :D

Personally, I tend to buy 'em from a show and replace 'em annually 'cos I rack up about 18K miles a year at the moment and for £20 a set from a show, I'd be a mug not to! ;) :D 8)