deamon90002004

G60 with slack shifting

Hey all, i have a 1991 g60 and the shifting doesnt feel great, i struggle to get first from neutrol, i have to go 3rd, 2nd then 1st to get it to go in, is there a repair kit i can get? It is a cabled gearbox, if it was linkages like my golf i would know what to do, cable wise not a clue.

Thanks in advance.

Lift the gear lever surround up and check that there is a circlip on the end of the gear lever guide.

If that's not your issue, you can indeed buy all the plastic bushes for the gear lever, but as yours is early style, none of the gearbox end parts are available if those are worn/tired. Something I'm p|ssed off about after rebuilding the gear lever end...Now considering a Cupra shifter setup.

g60circlip.jpg

Also worth noting that the gearshift on earlier cars does not have the balance weight on the gearbox shifter to help improve the feel, you can retro fit them but I don't think they will go on a G60 with stock boost pipework sadly.

Strangely mine has always had the shift weight, going back at least 11-12 years when I bought it as a completely standard car. And there's nothing in the history/receipts to show that a shift weight was bought.

Never had an issue with clearance. :thumbleft:

In fact, just looking on etka confirms mine is a weird car...According to chassis number it's supposed to have the later gearbox end stuff inc the shift weight. But that's generally considered vr6/2l 16v/2l 8v territory. Weird, it's like it wasn't supposed to be a G60!

topic apologies>

Have you changed your gearbox oil recently and adjusted the linkage? There's a special tool for centering it but it can also be done by feel. A quick Google will find instructions.

You can still adjust the cable change linkage - it's done using a screw on the tower at the shift lever end and one at the gearbox end. If your gearbox was ever out for a clutch change or other work it may have gone out of alignment in the past. Or, worst case, your shift fork in the gearbox has worn. Try the free stuff first, then the oil change, then take a look at the gearbox itself. VWs from that era are notorious for poor shifting anyway. Just my two cents.

Edited by fendervg

Google ;) Use the search on here, I'm sure it's been covered before - or there are very good sites in Canada and Germany as well.

I did and thats why i am here cos google wasnt being my friend. But what is the point of telling someone to google it when the whole point of a forum is to help each other out?

Hmmm....

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?103456-cable-change-gearbox-(linkage-adjustment)

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?32297-gear-linkage-adjustment/page4

There's plenty more. If you get hold of a Haynes or the Bentley manual it will explain the procedure and an experienced mechanic should be able to do it by feel...you won't get anything out of the forum really unless you have a look at the search function.

The gear lever end is done via one 13mm bolt pictured here... (The short 13mm). With the car in neutral, mark the two points the bolt passes through (Black thin lever part and thicker silver body). You will see there are two lines/indentations to align, but as parts/bushes wear, you move away from those.

Slacken the bolt, and slightly move/hold the gear lever to the left (Or right if you go too far), now nip the bolt up again and test while sat with car running/clutch in. Don't go too tight with the bolt.

It's just a case of tweaking it, undo bolt, tweak, undo bolt, tweak.

The gearbox end is much the same. And should actually be done with those two indentations lined up (But then if they are worn, you can just try to get it to shift smoothly)

Corrado%20Short%20shift%20gear%20linkage%20bushes%2044.jpg

Taken from http://www.corradog60.com/viewtopic.php?t=885

Edited by Riley

I have the special VW tool if anyone in Dublin, Ireland needs to use it - I know it's not much use to you guys in the UK but I thought I'd let you know.

I have the special VW tool if anyone in Dublin, Ireland needs to use it - I know it's not much use to you guys in the UK but I thought I'd let you know.

Might take you up on that some weekend if you dont mind!