MZpog

Are drilled/grooved discs worth having? Peformance pads? Braided hose?

Awaiting my G60 callipers to upgrade my fronts to 280mm disks and wondered if any benefit in buying drilled/grooved disks.

Also will be changing pads so is there worth in going for performance pads?

I already have braided rear lines from when I fitted the mk4 callipers and would like to upgrade my fronts to braided lines if anyone knows where I can buy them separately (only seen them in packs).

Cheers,

Stuart.

I wouldn't bother mate. Drilled/grooved disks just create a lot of dust, so unless its track specific and with pretty big power, its just not worth it. Same for pads, if you're using the car mainly for road use, most "performance" pads are pretty pants when cold, and thats when you'll need them most for day to day use.

Ive just finished fitting braided lines to mine, and to tell you the truth I don't think there is much in it. But then I'm more of a Sunday driver, so probably not getting the full benefit of them.

You can buy single hoses from hel, but think are £25 each. So once you buy 2 hoses, you might as well buy a full set.

http://www.brake-lines.co.uk/create-your-custom-brake-hose.html

Edited by sankysvr6
Link added

Yeah, c&r enterprises do goodridge set too - also on ebay, and it's worth doing the full set as it'll give a weak link in the ones that aren't done, and accelerate wear.

As Sean said its not worth it . Next time my pads need changing I'm going to get a decent set , it gets on my nerves with all the dust . My wheels are stained and it's a right pain to remove .

Guest sam1990rhodes

ive never bothered with drilled/grooved, unless you're going to be doing big power/speed in your C around race tracks constantly they're not really worth it. Good quality brake pads are a must though!, the less dust they chuck off the better.

Pagid standard disks and pads are a good option. I've just changed to them from green stuff pads and Brembo max disks and the breaking seems better to me. As said, performance pads need to heat up before they are fully effective, which isn't helpful on cold mornings.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've had OE discs and pads (288mm though) on my VR since I bought it 6 years ago. Not only do they still have lots of meat on them, the braking is always superb and never suffered from any obvious fade or warped discs or any of that nonsense. Always worth going OE.

How are they for dust Jim ? . I can't remember what I have on mine , I know they are not OEM though .

They don't seem too bad to be honest - hard to say as I use the car so infrequently. I've certainly had much worse fitted for dust (e.g. Tarox pads).

I might go for OEM then . My car is only a summer weekend driver and the occasional nice evening . If I clean it and go for a 20 mile drive , the front wheels are covered in dust .

I don't think you'll be able to completely cure it Rob, as yours lives outside iirc, so when its when due to rain or you washing, the disks get that surface rust very quickly indeed. As soon as you begin braking it always creates some dust, but shouldn't be excessive. Pagid are the I've found for price, quality and performance by far.

Guest sam1990rhodes

I use red stuff on my R32 and they emit hardly any dust... that being said they're flipping expensive so id like it if they cleaned the wheels themselves!

Perhaps I should waxed and polished the wheels from the start Sean . I never really thought about it , they are painted wheels . I always do it now . I've never found a wheel cleaner that does what it says on the tin . I suppose it can't be to harsh as the paint will get damaged . A few months back I cleaned them with brasso , it's the only thing I've found to remove stubborn stains .