eugopnosaj

'Cheap' Spal fan alternative

*Disclaimer* I'm not putting a cheap spal fan on the VR.

I briefly remember reading a post on here where someone used a cheap alternative (ebay special) to a spal fan and having good results, basically identical in design and spec but much cheaper. I am having some heat issues with my Subaru engined beetle and want to play around with fan options. I don't want to buy a expensive Spal one in case my ideas don't work and I need to change the rad size/position etc and then the fan not fit.

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper versions and whether they are any good?

I've got a revotec which strangely is actually a comex. Cheaper than spal, can't remember exactly flow rate but from memory it was about the same. Got mine from Burton power

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've got a revotec which strangely is actually a comex. Cheaper than spal, can't remember exactly flow rate but from memory it was about the same. Got mine from Burton power

I got my SPALs from revotec originally, which were crap. The chap at Revotec said he'd stopped selling them when I wanted some more (coz they're rubbish), and moved over to General CAB instead. I had a couple of those in the VRT and they were very reliable. The SPALs lasted about 6 months!

do you know if the mounting holes are the same Kev? My SPALs are running well but worth knowing should they bite the dust.

Burton power no longer seem to sell the general CAB, and on Revotec I can only find the Comex ones. Unfortunately doing a Google search for 'CAB fan' just brings up AV/IT cabinet fans :lol:

I got my SPALs from revotec originally, which were crap. The chap at Revotec said he'd stopped selling them when I wanted some more (coz they're rubbish), and moved over to General CAB instead. I had a couple of those in the VRT and they were very reliable. The SPALs lasted about 6 months!

how was fitting of the CAB ones Kev? did the need a different bracket or were they OEM fixings?

They're just called 'CAB' on Burton power. Bizarre thing is SPAL and General CAB are both Italian, but the former don't last! Well, mine didn't. Could have been a bad batch but the Revotec chap said it was something to do with them not having a drain hole for water, so they rust out and seize up. Exactly what happened to mine.

Yeah the fitting holes are the same from memory. None of the aftermarket fans fit like OEM Goldfinger. Normally they just come with plastic pegs that poke into the cooling fins of the radiator to hold it in place!

They're just called 'CAB' on Burton power. Bizarre thing is SPAL and General CAB are both Italian, but the former don't last! Well, mine didn't. Could have been a bad batch but the Revotec chap said it was something to do with them not having a drain hole for water, so they rust out and seize up. Exactly what happened to mine.

Yeah the fitting holes are the same from memory. None of the aftermarket fans fit like OEM Goldfinger. Normally they just come with plastic pegs that poke into the cooling fins of the radiator to hold it in place!

thanks for the info Kev.

i am trying to decide whether to try & get one of the fan brackets that were made on here for the SPAL's or just try to get a new fan which fits the VW rad i put ihn the VR a few years ago