Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

water leaks vr6

hello

my vr6 keeps leaking n now it gettin even worse

first of all i changed the secondary elecric water pump cos that was leaking..

then it started leaking from somewhere near the water pump cant really pin point it?

how do i remove the radiator so i can look??? no space!!

and now as soon as the temp cos just below 110 ALL the water steams out and poor out of the expantion tank cant even drive it once its warm cos it will poor out??

110 was normal temp before but know whats happend???

thats near the water pump aint it??

donno how to remove the radiator so i can ave a bit of space to look??

now the bigger problem is all the water pooring and steamin out of da expansion tank at 110 temp

thats near the water pump aint it??

donno how to remove the radiator so i can ave a bit of space to look??

now the bigger problem is all the water pooring and steamin out of da expansion tank at 110 temp

no.....its more towards the g/box side of the engine :wink:

cheers

you got any idea how to remove the rad so i can get a better look???

dream car is turning into a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not surprised it's blowing all the coolant out if you're hitting 110 degrees!

You need to work out why it's getting so HOT in the first place - excess heat causes excess pressure which will blow seals all over the place!

You need to check that the water is circulating correctly, that both pumps are working properly, that there's no air locks and that the thermostat is working ok.

Easiest way to do that is to use your hands! Find out if all parts of the radiator are getting hot - the most likely cause is a blocked/broken thermostat.

If the water is circulating succesfully, then your next assumption is that the fans aren't coming on. Do the fans ever come on?

To take the radiator out you need to remove the front bumper, headlights, grill, and the slam panel. Lots of those stupid self tapping screws hold the front end on so be careful not to overtighten them. Basically the whole front of the car, definitely not alot of space in there.

Must be a guide on here or the vortex forum for doing that. Worth finding one cos, for instance, only remove the two larger bolts for each of the front bumper fixings, not the smaller middle one. Can't remember exactly but think all those bolts hold the front member on, so don't drive it with the bumper off otherwise the front engine mount will try and pull it off.

cheers

well the fan did come on most off this week but the only problem till yesterday was the leak coming from aroud the water pump but couldnt really tell wear exactly its coming from, but yesterday the story got alot worse as its just heating up and coming straight out the expan tank??

the rad fans might not ave come on yesterday as im sure they should have if thats happening!! but they was working fine before yesterday...

i thought 100 temp was about normal??? it didnt go above the 110 mark....

i changed the aux water pump last week... does the sideways part go to the hose connecting to the expansion tank and the downwards one to the heater hose or have i got the mixed up??

i thought all i had to do was remove the slam panel how wrong i was !! easy HELL NO!!

100 degrees is only normal if you're stuck in traffic. If you're moving through the air you should see less than 90 degrees in all but the most exceptional circumstances. My VR's water temp hasn't gone above 100 degrees in over a year now, no matter how long you sit stationary, or how hard you work the engine...

Same here. 85-90 all day long except when crawling in traffic, then it hits 100-105 max but takes a good 15 mins of traffic crawling to get it to that temperature.

I've bought a brand new VAG expansion tank out of interest, so that I can actually see the damned coolant level!!!

seems i fix 1 leak n in no time there is another!!

think the expan tank is ok it comes out in steam and the starts pouring out!!

Yeah, as I said - if your temp is actually, genuinely hitting 110 degrees you WILL blow holes in EVERY part one by one, till they're all NEW and then you'll start again!

Fix the overheating problem, and the leaks will magically go away!!

First things first - make sure that BOTH hoses to the top and bottom of your rad are getting hot. If they aren't, swap the thermostat straight away. It's cheaper and easier than swapping a blocked radiator!

No need to pull the front end off really (unless you WANT to of course!).

i know the tiop rad hose get very hot aint checked the lower one, the rad is in very good condition only reson id remove the front n the rad is to get a better look at the leak comin from around the middle near ish to the water pump... can see where abouts its coming from but cant pinpoint it unless the rad goes

Well all I'm saying is that if the thing is only leaking because it's running too hot and over-pressure you're wasting your time fixing leaks... ;)

i check the upper n lower rad hose and the upper 1 does seem to heat up very fast and the lower one aint as not just slightly worm?? whats this telling me??

Why do you think you need to remove the radiator to look at the pump?

Its on the driver's side of the engine.

If there's a leak in the cooling system it will sit at the temperatures you mention.

If there is no leak it will get much hotter without mishap (provided everything is in good condition...)

help

the fan dont come on, it works when i connect it direct to the battery but only then!!

also the hose coming from the heater heats up first and then the upper one going to the rad but the lower one dont get as hot!!

whats up??

well spelling n corrado's are something that is a pain in the backside for me!!

anyways any 1 know what to look at next??

i checked the yellow plug and bridged a wire and the fan came on so.....

it works from there n it works direct from the fan motor but dont come on on it own!!