g0ldf1ng3r

1990 1.8 16v oil warning audio beeping randomly

hi all

could anyone please shed light on what can cause the oil light / audio beeping on a 1.8 16v?

i believe the beeping would be set off if the oil level had gone below a minimum level somewhere & triggers the oil light to flash on the dash & emit an audible beeping but what could cause it to randomly go off?

i recall an issue with a connector on the VR such that it was causing very high readings on the oil temp so i have removed/cleaned/refitted the spade connector which i think is on top of the oil sensor on the valver

that seemed to stop it from happening for a while but i am unsure if it is just coincidence

the valver has just had its service & MOT so i know (& have checked as well to be sure) that the level of oil is perfect

the beeping sometimes happens after a bump in the road but also randomly. the duration of beeping is also random as to when it shuts the hell up lol but i have been able to get a constant factor where if it beeps i depress the clutch, turn off the ignition, then back on & lift the clutch to bump the engine back into life - each time the beeping stops, as does the dash light flashing

it is due to this constant that i think the alarming is due to a dodgy connection rather than an issue but i am unsure what actually triggers the alarm

is there another connector somewhere that i need to clean or replace?

thanks in advance

I had similar on my valver which was caused I think by the baffle in the Sump. It stands vertical and clips onto the oil pickup, and a couple of the clips had gone brittle and snapped. This was causing the baffle to temporarily starve oil when cornering. Aside from the sensors, the only other option if it's not with wiring is to try a replacement set of dials mate.

There is no level indication on cars of this age, its a low oil pressure warning buzzer with a red light meaning stop.

It could be low oil pressure, a faulty sensor or a wiring issue.

There is no level indication on cars of this age, its a low oil pressure warning buzzer with a red light meaning stop.

It could be low oil pressure, a faulty sensor or a wiring issue.

thanks Dox - kid of the thoughts i was having

do you know where the oil pressure sensor is by any chance?

i can then check out the connection to it

i am of the thought it is not a 'real' issue as i can get the alarm to go away every time - whereas i would expect if it was an actual oil pressure issue it would persist

also the dials display no issue with oil or water temps - again which i would expect to be rising quite rapidly if the engine was being starved of oil

I had similar on my valver which was caused I think by the baffle in the Sump. It stands vertical and clips onto the oil pickup, and a couple of the clips had gone brittle and snapped. This was causing the baffle to temporarily starve oil when cornering. Aside from the sensors, the only other option if it's not with wiring is to try a replacement set of dials mate.

thanks sean - i will try the sensor/connection side first but keep this in mind - though it does not trigger it when cornering

from what i can see on google there is a low & a high pressure sensor sitting above (ish) where the oil filter is

it is one of those i cleaned - i will check them both later

ok so i had a little fiddle at break ;) lol

i could see 2 spade connectors going to sensors above the oil filter - one of these i had cleaned previously (resulting in a few months of few noises from the alarm) but the other i hadnt

cleaned both, well kind of with a tissue i had, but will do properly once home & also the ends they connect on to

i did noticed that the front one has a suspect gap between the spade & the plastic wire sheath where you can see the wire itself - this is similar to how the VR oil temp sensor connector was when i had the odd readings & as such i think it needs re-crimping

can anyone confirm if me temporarily electrical taping said gap would give a similar effect to a re-crimp? i guess it could as long as there is no bare wire showing

however i could also see a 3rd wire coming out of the same place in the factory loom as the other 2 but it is not connected to anything - does anyone know if it should be? (it is visible in the picture i attached)

or is it there for use on a different flavour of engine in a rado

from googling i found that there is a low & high pressure sensor but unsure what that connector is for - it cant be oil temp as that reading works ok on dash

thanks to all

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

ok so i had a little fiddle at break ;) lol

i could see 2 spade connectors going to sensors above the oil filter - one of these i had cleaned previously (resulting in a few months of few noises from the alarm) but the other i hadnt

cleaned both, well kind of with a tissue i had, but will do properly once home & also the ends they connect on to

i did noticed that the front one has a suspect gap between the spade & the plastic wire sheath where you can see the wire itself - this is similar to how the VR oil temp sensor connector was when i had the odd readings & as such i think it needs re-crimping

can anyone confirm if me temporarily electrical taping said gap would give a similar effect to a re-crimp? i guess it could as long as there is no bare wire showing

however i could also see a 3rd wire coming out of the same place in the factory loom as the other 2 but it is not connected to anything - does anyone know if it should be? (it is visible in the picture i attached)

or is it there for use on a different flavour of engine in a rado

from googling i found that there is a low & high pressure sensor but unsure what that connector is for - it cant be oil temp as that reading works ok on dash

thanks to all

The spare wire is for the aux gauges fitted below the radio.

Is the buzzer above 2200RPM or below?

The lower value sensor is below 2200RPM, the higher of the 2 is above 2200RPM (don't mix them up or have you already maybe?). The values are stamped into the flats on the hexagon part of the sensor.

Both alarm for low oil pressure, one below 2200rpm, the other above 2200rpm

Not sure about the 16v engine. But on my G60 it looks similar to yours. One of those sensors is for the oil temperature and the other is the pressure.

Once you get the car to normal temperature you could try disconnecting one, and see if oil temp on the MFA goes off. To work out which is which.

On the G60 there is also another oil pressure sensor on the right hand side of the head. Check to see if you have there also and the connection on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about the 16v engine. But on my G60 it looks similar to yours. One of those sensors is for the oil temperature and the other is the pressure.

Once you get the car to normal temperature you could try disconnecting one, and see if oil temp on the MFA goes off. To work out which is which.

On the G60 there is also another oil pressure sensor on the right hand side of the head. Check to see if you have there also and the connection on there.

The oil temp sensor is usually brass and needs a much smaller spanner to turn it

Good point Dox.

Does oil temperature sensor still live on top of the oil filter housing on the 16V engine. Like the VR and G60?

The spare wire is for the aux gauges fitted below the radio.

Is the buzzer above 2200RPM or below?

The lower value sensor is below 2200RPM, the higher of the 2 is above 2200RPM (don't mix them up or have you already maybe?). The values are stamped into the flats on the hexagon part of the sensor.

Both alarm for low oil pressure, one below 2200rpm, the other above 2200rpm

tidy thanks Dox - id love some VDO's for the VR so knowing that connector is helpful too lol

buzzer is completely random in terms of when happens & also for a random duration, sometimes it just gives slight blip & others it persists, no pattern with RPM or anything else

the constant is that it will always cease beeping if i turn ignition off & back on

it doesnt beep when cornering but does sometimes happen when i go over a bigger bump in the road

i tend to be quite careful when disconnecting/reconnecting things such that i do 1 at a time - it reduces the chances of me putting things back in the wrong place but i appreciate that bit of knowledge about the differences :)

however, i can report that this mornings journey to work was completely beep free :)

i had a couple of beeps on the way home last night but not one this morning

i think i will get some contact cleaner, clean both sensors & connectors & insulate that tiny bit of bare wire on the one wire & then see how it goes

i will check the by the head just in case too, thanks sanky