Sign in to follow this  
robqt88

Are my Rear springs knackered?

I have got a g60, with about 120000 miles under its wings.

My recent observation of my car is most easily explained like this...

The yellow rumble strips that the kind council lay down on the road to let you know that you are entering a speed limit, seam to be felt really hard on the rear. I think I have a suspention fault!

I am just about to put some new shox on (standard), but was wondering if I should keep my existing springs, or replace them with new ones?

Due to the nature of the roads around here, a hard ride on the suspention would not be fair to the car, so i want to keep it at the standard height.

Somebody wrote somewhere, that the distance from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch on the rear should be 378mm? Is this correct?

If so, mine being at about 340mm does not look good.

I have had a good look, and they are not broken. But are they sagging?

Do they squash down smaller through their life?

Can anyone advise me of the correct height of a spring, or if the measurements i have talked about above sound correct.?

Many thanks

Rob.

First off, the rear suspension on the C is incredibly bad at absorbing harsh shocks like that. The big rear axle is just WAY too heavy and this inevitably transmits a lot of the shock straight into the body, much more so than the front end where not only that but there's a lot more weight to damp it down.

I couldn't tell you if the height you measure is correct tho, I'm sure someone here can though.

Fit new bumpstops and topmounts while doing the dampers (you have to take them off to change the dampers anyway).

Standard springs last for ever and don't tend to sag unless they have been seriously damaged by corrosion.

Loud thumps from the rear end when going over bumps with no passengers/luggage suggests the rear axle busjes are shot.

Bump stops have solved a sagging rear end on my mk2 and my brothers mk3 Golf. The corrado is the same I expect. Just picked up some new OE top mounts, bump stops, front and back for when I fit new springs.