Grum

another heater control thread

so the heater controls were broke for a long time, finally bought a decent used set, tried to install it myself and broke it! now ive got 2 broken heater controls.

my question is, does anyone know a garage in Glasgow or central scotland that would source and install controls or even *******ize some modern controls to fit?

ive asked a couple of garages but theyre not too keen on the job.

I take it these are late heater controls. The problem 9 out of 10 is that the bowden cables from the back of the controls to the heater box, or the cogs on ther heater box itself become very stiff. So regardless of how you try to change the controls they'll still break. Removal of the heater box is a long and tedious job, so if you get a garage to do it, they'll charge you a fortune. There is a decent guide on the wiki or on the corrado forum of Canada. Have a look and give it a go yourself. Clean and grease the heater box (worth renewing the foam on the flap whilst you're there), and get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281279489606?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Get some wd40 down the cable sleeve and refit. This should give you a nice slick movement, and take the strain from the dials themselves.

As Sean says, the cogs on the heater box are a problem area, I'm in the middle of refurbishing one at the moment and after a clean and oil, the difference in movement is night and day, plus it gives the chance to get rid of the old foam on the flaps which will be breaking up by now.

Handily enough I'm also in Glasgow and you are more than welcome to come and see the setup out of the car, if you like :)

seanl82, i put it into a garage ages ago and they replaced a bowden cable. the guys described it as one of the biggest pains in the ass ever and refused to work on it again lol. thats when i tried myself and failed! big clumsy hands and small spaces dont go hand in hand. also the small clips that hold down the cables pinged off and now rest somewhere behind the dash...

easypops, i will pay you to install a set in my car. seriously.

Ha ha, I don't do this stuff for money mate. Happy to have a look to see if I can help at some point though. What did you break on the replacement set? Also ,I'm away on holiday soon so it might need to wait until I'm back. Are they not working at all?

I'm interested in this too, have you got some out of car pics ?

Not anything specific mate, happy to take some if you like, what exactly are you looking for?

Ha ha, I don't do this stuff for money mate. Happy to have a look to see if I can help at some point though. What did you break on the replacement set? Also ,I'm away on holiday soon so it might need to wait until I'm back. Are they not working at all?

hard to describe what i broke, its a small part one of the cables sits in. ive plugged the controls in so get air 1-4 but obviously havent installed the cables so no directional flap or hot/cold air.

enjoy the holiday bud. ps you should do it for money

Are the 3 Bowden cables still in place, attached to the airbox? If so it shouldn't be too difficult to get the air to the windscreen with a bit of heat

[ATTACH]84614[/ATTACH][ATTACH]84615[/ATTACH]

Agreed its all a pain in the ar*e job, but when done, can be made smooth and working correctly.

The cog on the box which breaks is usually down to forcing the controls, which in itself breaks or comes out of line. Well mine had.

I do believe that in cleaning out all the old sticky foam on the heater Box flaps helped it move so freely. Lubricated up and now works very smoothly.

I have learnt from others in that I only slowly change the air direction, and never at speed 4 as it's only creating resistance.

I got alot of spares for mine from a vw polo of a 96 year as it was so cheap and the foam inside is of a different material and a straight swap

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk