coullstar

Mystic Storm

So yep Ive done it again, this is No.8. With the 911 sold my budget was for something cheaper, 4 seats, boot for dog and rare/cool....only one thing for its then a Mystic blue Corrado Storm mainly as its the only model Id never owned and also as its a unique colour to the Storm.

Id agreed a deal on another one but due to a few reasons that fell through. This came up about the same time and whilst initially it wasn't a good from a mechanical/modded point of view the bodywork seems a lot better and had just had some work body done so decided to go for it site unseen so to speak. So yes Id not actually seen the car in the metal but speaking with the owner and seeing some receipts it looked good. After agreeing a deal I found a for sale add from couple of years ago after googling the number plate and it came up with some good history.

I got the car trailered up today and took it for a quick run tonight. Few little issues to sort out but nothing to worry about. It seemed to running cold and fans coming in early but just checked paperwork and it has neuspeed stat and switch fitted so I think I'll swap them back to OEM as not really required on Scotland. Id forgotten how crap the standard shifter is!!!

Plans are to run it for a week or so and see what pops up then coast underside/wheel arches. Maybe look at replacing some bits after that if all is well. Photos are from previous owner as Ive only seen it in the dark so far, lol. Its a good base car.

Spec 15k miles ago, currently on 139k.

New vag headlamp lens,

New vag fogs / indicators

Stainless fasteners used where possible

New vag radiator with fan plastics - Flushed and g12+ refilled

New fan switch, thermostat, thermostat housing complete all vag (these must have been switched for neuspeed)

New front engine mount vibratechnics

Other engine mounts new vag parts

New ign coil and leads, New premium plugs

New vag bonnet sound insulation

Magnetic sump plug

Machined large bore throttle body

ReMapped and 4 Wheel Alignment done by Vince at Stealth racing to 201bhp

Milltek catback stainless exhaust supplied and fitted by Stealth

Golf VR6 Front brakes (288mm) Calipers were stripped down de-rusted, new seals, and repainted black, and new stone guards

Front discs EBC ultimax with red stuff pads

Goodridge Braided front hoses

Koni adjustable ride shocks with H&R lowering springs to 35mm

New top mounts, drop links, track rod ends, ball joints.

New wishbone bushes front and rear, rears are solid TT bushes

New Bosch Aux water pump

New cam cover breather valve

DG Auto Tech Uprated Headlight Loom

Lupo wiper arm conversion

New VAG gear knob

New VAG handbrake handle

Re-leathered Steering wheel

New roof aerial

New VAG front spoiler

New VAG badges front and rear

New roof lining

All electrics work fine, including heated seats and sunroof

The one from Sheffield? ;)

If you want rid of the rad switch I'll swap you if you like?

Yeah thats the one. Brought it to work this morning so 20mile a-road commute. Definitely changing the thermostat out, it barely ran above 70deg. Rear spoiler is sticky so need to sort that and stereo has no sound so all in all small issues.

It felt tight for the age and runs well enough. Don't think there much life left in the clutch though but I suppose when doing that it will give me a chance to do chains etc.

Welcome back!... not that you actually went away....

Looks like a good buy, small issues etc, so easy to fix and enjoy

Well looks like I'll be doing clutch sooner rather than later ...��

Welcome back! Chains at the same time?

Welcome back! Chains at the same time?

I should really but I'll inspect the top tensioner and see what its like. Don't really have time to do it myself at the moment so it might just be a local indy for quick clutch swap. Annoyed that there was no mention of clutch during the deal, even if it was mentioned I wouldn't be s bothered. Just leave me feeling what else is hidden. Oh and ABS light is coming on now as well. Should have bought a Mk5 Gti afterall..................

welcome back - nice find

any car you buy will always have some things needing doing, i am sure you know that well enough - enjoy it & try not to worry too much :)

I wasnt expecting anything perfect, no car this age will be. Its just frustrating that it will potentially be a big bill straight away and to me its fairly obvious its was starting to go. Chance I took buying this way and I totally accept that.

Where's best for chain kits now? Ive seen a few on ebay but obviously wary of the components.

Just thinking if the ABS light and clutch slipping is linked. Been a while since I looked at the system so maybe clutch slave or master cylinder is faulty. Bite point is almost as pedal is fully out and it judders initially.

Decided to just go for new Sachs clutch kit and run the car for a while. Bought a new slave cyl and will get a master refurbed. Changing out thermostat as well. Had to get another headunit as the one that came with it was goosed.

Found some Redline gear oil in the garage so will get that swapped out when box is off.

Well a little progress on this. I was away last week on holiday so I had a Sachs clutch kit fitted. There were some of the usual internal gearbox wear with selector fork etc so had that all replaced as well along with new gearbox oil.

At the same time the thermostat and fan switch were done along with a CV boot. Managed to give it a run over the last couple of days and its much better.

Still need to get it up on stands and clean/coat underneath along with having a good poke around. I think rear suspension needs adjusted as it is a little unstable on right hand bends, maybe rear bushes have gone. Garage complimented me on the overall condition and got a couple more chufties today so happy with it.

Some pics of my own, not very good Im afraid.

Managed to finally get the car up on stands to clean underneath and coat. Overall good with a few bits to keep an eye on. Ive taken all wheels off and coated inside of each arch with Dinitrol spray wax and coated drive train in AC50. Ill brush underneath and coat it with some POR15.

Noticed one of rear shocks is goosed so might think about some AP coilovers as they were good on the last car but need to also replace front brakes as the inside of the pads are knackered. Bit annoying that's there lots of little service items that seems to have been neglected to an extent. Ordered some Mintex kit to replace it out. Fitted almost new deeper front spoiler (thanks Troy) which was all very easy to do.

Keep thinking about wheels but I really like the std look now. Need to get some more photos up.