westwoop

Former owner considering a return

Folks,

Last owned a '94 VR6, which I sold in 2001. It always made me smile. I replaced it with a TT, which by and large, only made me smile in the snow, then an A3, now a BMW330d which is like driving a tank, but with harsher suspension. I also have an '89 MX5 which I love.

The idea is to switch out the BMW. My typical journeys will be a few local trips, with a 400 mile round trip every other week.

If I buy a now massive milage, 25 year old VR6, will it still feel like a fast fun car? Will it be a battle with rust and failing electricals? Will it rattle from every bit of failing trim? (The Mazda my suggested some of this).

Things it needs to do are: surge to the right under heavy acceleration, smell rather strangly of cat pee everytime you open the sunroof, sound amazing, and look and feel pretty special.

Thanks,

Peter.

All of the above. Its not a quick car by modern standards, and your 330d will certainly show a standard VR6 a clean pair of heals.

It will almost certainly rattle like mad, and unless you buy one stock standard the suspension will be pretty harsh and in typical 90s standard, will look like a scared cat ready to pounce in its stance. As long as its well maintained though and you start out with a good base, electricals and rust shouldn't be much of a problem.

Most people say they cost a lot to maintain, but don't believe it. You can do plenty of preventative maintenance by swapping out various parts for new, and still spend less than you may do on a 5 year old car where the odd problem is starting to occur.

And it'll certainly make you smile, especially as you sail past 4k rpm with wide open throttle!

I ran mine daily for 8 months this year (no need to anymore thankfully), but it never missed a beat. It's not an ideal car to do lots of mileage in as compared to modern motoring it is pretty unrefined and does become a little tiresome, but as an occassional car not many others in the bracket provide as many smiles per pound spent as a Corrado, and few (IMO) look as good also. :thumbleft:

I have a 100k vr in aqua that will soon be for sale. Black leather. Arp head bolts. Refurb head. Stock body aside from springs/ shocks, miltek ss exhaust with hi flow cat and, eibach ARBs.

Hi I'm on the lookout for a new VR6 with sort of mileage + I like the sound of your mods so I could be interested too. What sort of asking price are you looking for?

Cheers guys. The car needs mot and a good wash as it's been in the garage for a while. I'll be in touch when sorted :)

Will likely market it for £4.5k. Thanks,Chris

All of the above. Its not a quick car by modern standards, and your 330d will certainly show a standard VR6 a clean pair of heals.

It will almost certainly rattle like mad, and unless you buy one stock standard the suspension will be pretty harsh and in typical 90s standard, will look like a scared cat ready to pounce in its stance. As long as its well maintained though and you start out with a good base, electricals and rust shouldn't be much of a problem.

Most people say they cost a lot to maintain, but don't believe it. You can do plenty of preventative maintenance by swapping out various parts for new, and still spend less than you may do on a 5 year old car where the odd problem is starting to occur.

And it'll certainly make you smile, especially as you sail past 4k rpm with wide open throttle!

I ran mine daily for 8 months this year (no need to anymore thankfully), but it never missed a beat. It's not an ideal car to do lots of mileage in as compared to modern motoring it is pretty unrefined and does become a little tiresome, but as an occassional car not many others in the bracket provide as many smiles per pound spent as a Corrado, and few (IMO) look as good also. :thumbleft:

Exactly this.

They are great cars but IMO need to be cared for. Remember back what it was like going from a Corrado to a TT, all of the rattles disappeared and the car was tight although not as eventful to drive.

I really miss my Corrado but as I only have space for 1 car it has to be a modern daily driver for me.

I got back into the Corrado scene this year in May after a long lay off. My project is still in bits but the missus went and bought an auto Storm blind off Ebay! Just to pee me off I think! Anyway, her's needed work, (of course!) and finally got it on the road last week. We went out for a meal to a country pub in the middle of Norfolk and I have to say, I haven't stop smiling! I've had RS Audi's before with a lot more power but these just have something. No traffic, back roads, (bit of ice to keep it exciting) high rev's and it's Cheshire cat time.

Buy one! I bought my Storm last year & have no regrets at all. Spent a few quid on it to get it where I want it & when I drive it it always puts a smile on my face! It was eight or nine years since I'd driven a VR6 & they still look & feel very special today. Nothing else like them on the road. :cool: