kickyou73

Rebuild VR6 or install R32 engine.

Hi,

A bit of advice please. Although my Corrado runs lovely at the moment with no blue smoke or rattles it's just hit 180k.

I know at some stage the VR6 will fail unless the chains get done at a minimum or and probably better it gets a rebuild.

The car is at Stealth at the moment getting a new suspension so I had the chance to talk with Vince regarding the pro's and con's of a rebuild vs putting the R32 engine in.

A stealth rebuild is £3,000 + vat, I do love the 12v VR6 but I still want to be driving the car for another 100k at least.

After a rebuild would it be possible the engine is good for another 100k or is the R32 engine a better long term bet?

Kind regards

Paul

As long as you run the engine in properly, I'd expect a lot of miles on a stealth rebuild. Had mine done in stages (!) - head rebuild at 100k, bottom end at 140k, still going strong at 183k now.....

Hi,

A bit of advice please. Although my Corrado runs lovely at the moment with no blue smoke or rattles it's just hit 180k.

with it running fine your bonkers to even be considering an engine rebuild , personally for me i would go r32 if i had the spare available funds , keep the original engine though {so it could go back} ,

What was Vince's opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said a probably would not like the R32 engine as much as the VR6 as it delivers at lot of it's power at the bottom of the rev range and you kind of end up racing everywhere. Although he did say he spent a lot of time recently mapping an R32 so it delivered power similar to the VR6.

I'll be putting my R32 engine up for sale soon including DTA management loom etc full engine package £2.5k

What was Vince's opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said I probably would not like the R32 engine as much as the VR6 as it delivers a lot of it's power low down the rev range and you kind of end up racing everywhere. He did say though that he had recently remapped an R32 so it was similar to the VR6.

with it running fine your bonkers to even be considering an engine rebuild , personally for me i would go r32 if i had the spare available funds , keep the original engine though {so it could go back} ,

It's not that I want to do it, more that I am going to need to start saving now for either option as in the end the engine will fail if I do nothing :(

I'll be putting my R32 engine up for sale soon including DTA management loom etc full engine package £2.5k

Thanks mate if I need one in the near future I will message you.

He said a probably would not like the R32 engine as much as the VR6 as it delivers at lot of it's power at the bottom of the rev range and you kind of end up racing everywhere. Although he did say he spent a lot of time recently mapping an R32 so it delivered power similar to the VR6.

This is music to my ears as Vince should be remapping my R32 on Friday!

Bit of an exciting rebuild - it went in for clutch, chains and Schrick cams, but on turning it over both inlet valves got bent against the carbon crusted onto cylinder #6...So the head came off and now it's getting a port and polish to go with it :thumbleft:

Very curious to see how much he can squeeze out of it, plus finally fix the horribly twitchy throttle response :)

Stone

Good luck mate, Vince is a clever chap and did a wonderful job setting up the new suspension in mine so I think you are in good hands.

Hmm... Not so convinced about setting up the vr6 like an r32. I understand why you would want to do it, and honestly it's something I'd be interested in, but surely in order to do that you'd have to reduce power lower down which is the benefit of the 24v, but without giving yourself a gain at top end?

I'm no mapper, so I'd be very interested to know what the figures and graphs are like as a comparison

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DTA not better Kev with regards to the vvt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro