Callum-VR6

Clutch replacement - change timing chain also?

New to posting on the forum and have tried searching but cant find anything on the topic.

Feels like my clutch is on its way out, is it worth while changing the timing chain as well? My VR has ticked over to 140,000 miles yesterday and I cannot find any history if it being done before.

Whilst having the clutch done changing the engine mountings as there is a bit of seepage coming from the rear.

Cheers in advance!

Doing it yourself or getting someone else? Im getting clutch replaced and was thinking about chain etc as Im at the same mileage but decided just to go for clutch as Ive just got the car. I'll inspect the top tensioner at some point and make that decision later. If mine goes I'll get another engine and do chains etc at that point.

Maybe that's the best thing to do if you can, inspect the top tensioner to see what its like and make a decision from there. My old car had 136k miles on it with original tensioner and there was minimal wear. I know other bits break but when was the last time you heard of someones engine detonating due to the chains and tensioner giving up?

Are you intending on keeping it or have the cash ready to do chains? If so then might be an idea to do it but look at bigger picture and decide if its really worth it.

Planning on keeping her until it dies... Had it since January and still loving every second of the V6 roar!

Yeah sounds best thing to do, will have a bit of a look at the top tensioner. Had a listen around the gearbox end of the engine and all sounds like its running smooth with no rattles.

Since being a Corrado owner have a "car repair fund" that I pay into every month so have enough cash to do it. Getting a garage to do the work for me so was wondering if it was worthwhile whilst they were down there. Will have a look 1st though myself so not doing unnecessary work.

Who's doing it and are they familiar with these engines? It not too hard from what Ive seen but few check to follow to make sure its all perfect.

A local garage, think they have had a few Corrados in before mine. Seem to know there way around it anywho when its been in before. Was them that actually suggested I got one!

Do the crank seal too. Its on the clutch side so should be ok to do with the gearbox out of the way.

You don't hear about tensioner/chain related failures on the forum because forum members are obsessive about checking and replacing chains and tensioners.. Outside the forum it's probably more common. A more likely consequence is rough running caused by jumped cam teeth followed by diagnosis of chains.

Amazing really isn't it . In the nineties VW made engines with chains that lasted over 100k. Zip forward to 2008 and your lucky to get 35k out of a set .

Hah. They made them to last 100k but told you they lasted forever.. At least they are straight with you now.. ;)