harrisvr6

Strange noise when unlocking.

My Corrado has started making a weird noise when I unlock it. Its not there when I lock it back up. It is a little wierd as it just suddenly started doing it one day. It lasts 15-30 seconds and comes from the rear of the car, it just sounds like a sort of buzzing, small motorish 'running' noise a bit like when you put the key in and you can hear the small motor (Im assuming the water pump) kick in even before the ignition key is turned. Its sort of just like that but very protrusive and noticeable. It doesn't come back at all and I will only hear it again the next time I unlock it.

I am not too sure if it is coming from the boot lock / spoiler mechanism area of the boot - as it sounds like it may be, or if it's maybe coming from the fuel pump.

I haven't noticed any other faults which it maybe causing or anything like that, so its not on my must dos as of yet. This said I am a little worried it might break down on me which I really do not want to happen.

I have tried to isolate where it is coming from, somehow, by full to the brim to nigh on empty fuel (I thought the fuel pump might be resonating in the empty tank) which didn't make any difference.

If it would be the boot lock (maybe dry and rough sounding) surely it would make the same noise locking wouldn't it?

The spoiler seems to work as intended...

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause???

I have a '93 VR6

There is an airpump for the central locking in the boot, on the right side, behind the carpet. Could be that making the noise.

Could also be the actuator for the fuel flap lock or the tailgate one causing the vacuum pump to keep running on, both in the general area you speak of but as Jim says the sound is likely the pump, just to figure out why now......good luck :)

There is an airpump for the central locking in the boot, on the right side, behind the carpet. Could be that making the noise.
Agree with this - mine is doing exactly the same!!

I'll 3rd or 4th that. Mine did this too. I think I was messing around by the fuse box and must have tugged on the pipe work a little where it goes into a T junction so that must have caused an air leak. Once found and all secured it was good as gold.

Echo the above, full central locking is operated by the vacuum pump (in right hand side of boot inside a foam housing, when you pull carpet back you can't miss it).

The pipes then run right the way down the sill and behind the dash to offside, you can see the pipes near the fusebox.

The pipes do tend to deteriorate over time but if it's all working don't worry

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk