Thursdave

Long term storage - check list?

Hi folks, after a compression test just before christmas on my G60 to diagnose awful power, awful MPG, and a load of black crap out the exhaust confirmed buggered piston rings, I'm taking my G60 off the road so I can swap the engine out.

It's likely not going to be run for about a year or so, so what should I do to prevent any issues? It's in a council lock up so out of the wet and weather at least, and secure (and no increase on my premium, thanks Lynbrook insurance!).

I've read about dropping oil, and coolant, and putting on axle stands? Battery is already disconnected, but is there anything I'm missing? Maybe a cover/sheet to keep worst of dust off, etc? (not to worried about paintwork as it's in terrible condition and really needs a respray)

Anything else?

I'm happy to be corrected here, but I don't really see the need to drain oil and coolant? Especially the coolant... as if you drain the coolant, you'll be removing a liquid with (amongst other things) a corrosion inhibiter in it, leaving lots of exposed internal metal surfaces to corrode.

I'd consider jacking it up onto axle stands if it's going to be stood as it won't do the tyres any good sitting in the same position for a year. I'd also consider putting in a fuel stabiliser additive to a full tank of fuel.

yea dont drop any fluids, i would put a light dust sheet over it, {the really thin plastic ones} , maybe do something for moisture? i know you can buy them bags of silica gel for that...

Oo something for moisture, great idea, definitely a must

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not sure if a full tank of fuel is the right thing to do though - I thought petrol went off over time, so would it be better to leave fuel low and then fill up with fresh when the time comes?

Full tank of fuel with a fuel stabiliser to prevent condensation building up in the tank and rusting it inside out is what I've always been told

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Full tank of fuel with a fuel stabiliser to prevent condensation building up in the tank and rusting it inside out is what I've always been told

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's a plastic tank.

It's a plastic tank.

Doh I feel stupid now. That's what I was told to do with my T25 so I assumed the Corrado would be the same.

Not my work:

Preparing your car for storage

Change the oil and filter. This will prevent corrosion inside the engine.

Oil the cylinders. Remove the spark plugs. Spray oil into the cylinders or add a teaspoon of oil to each one to prevent rusting. Reinstall the spark plugs.

Top off fluids, including coolant, transmission and rear axle fluids.

Inspect the brake fluid. It should be clear and no more than two years old. If it looks dirty, flush the system and add new brake fluid. Dirty brake fluid can absorb moisture and cause the system to rust.

Fill the gas tank. An empty gas tank can attract moisture, which can cause rusting. When you fill the tank, add gasoline stabilizer to prevent gum and varnish from forming.

Drive the car. Take the car for a long drive - 30 or 40 miles - to ensure that the gasoline stabilizer thoroughly mixes with the gasoline and that the oil is distributed evenly. The long drive will also warm up the exhaust system sufficiently to remove moisture and condensation.

Disconnect the battery. Clean it with a mixture of baking soda and water. Place it on a clean, dry surface. If possible, connect it to a trickle or float charger designed to maintain a battery charge over long periods.

Wash your car thoroughly. Remove all dirt. Pay careful attention to the underbody and wheel wells where dirt can collect and cause rust and corrosion. It's also a good idea to apply a few coats of wax and treat any vinyl, leather or rubber in the interior with a protectant.

Remove the windshield wiper blades. Or, flip up the wiper arms up so that the rubber blades don't make contact with the windshield. You can also wrap the wipers in clean cloth so they don't stick to the windshield and leave marks.

Protect your car against pests. Thoroughly vacuum the interior so there are no food crumbs to attract insects or rodents. Seal all openings with aluminum foil. This includes the tailpipe, the engine air intake and the fresh air intake in front of the windshield. Spread mothballs inside the vehicle.

Protect your tires. Remove the tires and place the car on blocks. Deflate the tires slightly and store them flat and away from sunlight, which can break down the rubber. Consult your owner's manual for the proper placement of the blocks. A second option is to leave the tires on the car and add ten pounds of pressure per tire to avoid flat spots.

Indoor storage

The safest place to keep your car is in a cool, dry garage or other storage facility. If using a commercial storage facility, make sure you're comfortable with the facility's policies and liability limits.

Create a vapor barrier between the ground and your car. If the floor is concrete, place a large plastic sheet on the ground. If the floor is earth, position sheets of plywood over the plastic tarp for your car to rest on.

Spread mothballs under and around the vehicle. This will keep pests away from your car.

Outdoor storage

If you don't have a garage or shed for your car, you'll want to take extra precautions to protect it from the weather.

Place a vapor barrier on the ground. Use a large sheet of heavyweight plastic. Place pieces of plywood on top and park your car on these.

Place open containers of mothballs in the wheel wells and the trunk. This will help keep pests away.

Cover your car. Use a thick, multilayered car cover that will protect your vehicle from ultraviolet rays, rain, snow and wind. The cover should extend to the wheel wells. Rust may develop if moisture gets trapped between the cover and your vehicle, so it's a good idea to cover your car with blankets and secure them in place before installing the car cover. Secure the cover with straps so it stays snug on your car and doesn't flap in the wind.

I see the logic in axle stands for long term storage. But I'd never do it. I would like to know I could roll or move the car out in case of emergency say building fire.