Sign in to follow this  
bigbob

Recommend me some new discs (16v rado)

I think he was refering to the hub bolt pattern being drilled/taped...

ahhhh its all coming clear now............thought it was refering to how/where zimmerman x-drilled ones are done/supplied etc :? :wink:

no ones saying vag sell drilled discs,what i was saying or trying to say is that vag discs are the same as unipart etc because they are supplied by the same company

and Supercharged, whats money got to do with it??all my money is tied up,i work my bolloxs off doing days and night shifts just to make ends meet

I'd like to think that VAG would make absolutely sure that any component that has their name on it would be passed as top quality regardless of who makes it.

I'd like to think that VAG would make absolutely sure that any component that has their name on it would be passed as top quality regardless of who makes it.

the same goes for any component for any car...they would of all been rigourously tested to very high standards

All disks arent made in one lone company in Italy, although most of them are imported from Italy and furthermore theyre also not all the same, differing compounds are used that is why the VAG disks last longer. If they were all the same disks just stamped differently we wouldnt even be having this "which disk is best" conversation, there wouldnt be any difference. Obviously VAG disks are going to be more expensive than GSF etc because theyre the dealers and command a huge price for everything they sell, but they also have the better quality of parts, quality control and supposed service :roll: ....so dont know why anyones getting all aggressive..........like life in general you get what you pay for :p

Kev read through the whole thing a couple of times and you'll see that their is a strong argument for the zimmerman drilled disks (16VG60 recommendation after fitting to numerous cars & Fastcar magazine) as Supercharged says it could have been the mintex pads that destroyed your disks, the fast car test included Pagid fast road pads.

The point that we are all missing is that there are two types of aftermarket disc.

a) The ones that are made by VAG suppliers

b) The cheapo discs that just aren't worth buying.

If you look at the aftermarket stuff Guttman is really really cheap 60% of the cost of Brembo etc. (available from EuroCP). Zimmerman, ATE and Brembo are supposed to be the OE VAG quality, so the disc is supposed to be the same and are priced higher than cheapo discs, but lower than VAG.

Anyway in writing this I've decided I'm having Brembo discs (GSF) + Pagid Fast roads.

Live long and prosper peeps. :)

Well, whilst at my local dealers parts dept. getting bits for mine I spotted a GSF invoice while the bloke was getting my parts and guess what - It was for discs and pads, I reckon they didn't have em in stock and went to GSF.

I have Zimmerman drilled discs on the front and black diamond drilled/grooved rear all running pagid fast road pads, they work fine and no warping yet!

just gonna order some Pagid FR pads for mine, but a mate asked if there are any issues with them eating the standard discs?

Nope there fine and braking responce is really good, as Kev says the Pagid grooved don't seem to be up to much as half of his grooves are worn away in less than 10k's and I would have thought they were made to go with the FR pads??

I'll be controversial and not flame anyone, and just say cheers for the info SuperCharged ;)

Well, whilst at my local dealers parts dept. getting bits for mine I spotted a GSF invoice while the bloke was getting my parts and guess what - It was for discs and pads, I reckon they didn't have em in stock and went to GSF.

Hehe - last time I was at GSF, I asked for something that they didn't have, mentioned that I was going to VAG anyway and they gave me some wheel bearings to take and deliver to them!! - Nice... :?

i've got zimmerman drilled discs with pagid FR pads all around(from GSF too).They work fine, are more affective and have more feel than the standard stuff they replaced. maybe it's just the pads that are better but i've got no complaints :D

Personally I don't touch cross drilled discs with a barge pole the amount of stories I’ve heard from racing circles about the holes cracking and the discs breaking away from the hub :shock: nice

Don’t care how good they look don't ever want to know what that feels like.

I always go for brembo std replacement and pagid FR pads that’s what the mk2 had on all round that I part-ex'd for the corrado and the corrado's got cross drilled on, and i know for a fact that even though the corrado's discs are 24mm bigger the golf stopped sh1t loads better than the C the guy that’s got the golf now says he cant believe how well it stops.

Even though the ones on the corrado have loads left on them I just want them the fek off the car.

i'm using zimmermans with pagid fast road pads too, very dusty but they make the wheels blend in with my bodywork :D but no complaints about performance

I read article about combo above beating some pretty stiff / pricier competition too, but who knows how this compares to OE - One thing I would note, and the road test mentioned - the zimmerman/ pagid fr do tend to fade after '7 quick uses in succession' whatever that means, but tester said additional pedal pressure more than compensated :roll:

I had std VW discs (239mm) on my Mk2 Golf, the brakes were far better than my Corrados VW discs (256mm) and VW pads and still better than Zimmerman cross drilled 280mm front discs and pagis fast roads all round :?