delfinis38

laid up policy

Anyone else use a laidup policy as opposed to standard insurance... I've not used my car for a while as it's Been SORN for a few years and a laid up policy is handy. just wondering how much you pay...

I'm on a laid up policy as mine expired last month, and I doubt it'll see the road this year.

I phoned around quite a few places, and all were almost exactly the same price - £126.

In all honesty, its not that much less than a standard policy and none offered cover for damage (ie; if the garage roof fell in on it!) - it was just for fire or theft.

The fact that the garage mine is in is detached, and its on axle stands with no running gear means it can't really be pinched anyway! - made me seriously consider just getting a normal policy on the off chance that it would be road worthy.

I'd rather have at least something in place though, and just went with it. I went through Adrian Flux again as my previous policy was with them, and they obviously had all details so I didn't need to do anything other than pay. As mentioned, every other company I tried quoted exactly the same, so I think it may be a minimum figure based on the value as they all asked that question. (I said £7k).

I'm on a laid up policy as mine expired last month, and I doubt it'll see the road this year.

I phoned around quite a few places, and all were almost exactly the same price - £126.

In all honesty, its not that much less than a standard policy and none offered cover for damage (ie; if the garage roof fell in on it!) - it was just for fire or theft.

The fact that the garage mine is in is detached, and its on axle stands with no running gear means it can't really be pinched anyway! - made me seriously consider just getting a normal policy on the off chance that it would be road worthy.

I'd rather have at least something in place though, and just went with it. I went through Adrian Flux again as my previous policy was with them, and they obviously had all details so I didn't need to do anything other than pay. As mentioned, every other company I tried quoted exactly the same, so I think it may be a minimum figure based on the value as they all asked that question. (I said £7k).

Thanks Sean for the detailed reply.. just done mine through footman and James. Not read the small print yet but it seems similar. Fire and theft from garage, accidental damage, and insurance whilst on a trailer.

It wasn't too far off your premium too. £124.50 with agreed value at 15k. Excess of £100.

I was thinking originally of a classic car policy, but was told that I can't insure a car that is SORN and has no MOT on this policy.

Laid up?? - summers comming, get it MOT'd, taxed, insured and enjoy it! few memebers of my family have very collectable cars, Alvis, Austins, Mk1 RS, even they come out in the spring/summer.

Other hobbies get in the way when the sun comes out.... boats and the seaside has a addiction every weekend. Have insured it previous years taxed and mot and used it once... I may have Change of heart in a few months.... when I see you cruising round the village, with the sunroof open :)

How's the sunroof Saga coming on.

Is the mk1 rs the one that was on display at the village fate last year.

Edited by delfinis38

LOL - yeah the sunroof saga is still in full swing, the one a mate said I could have turned out to be a MK3 item so I'm speaking with Lilfuzzer about his stock ;)

Hmmmmm not sure, its a Mk1 Focus RS, mint, 1 owner, very low milage.. less than 30K I think, spends a lot of time under a car blanket in a heated garage... I know the Alvis and the Austin 7 made it to the fete last year.

Just had a quote from my insurer Adrian flux, same as it being on the road! They wanted 187 which was only cheaper because I took breakdown cover off.

Any other people worth trying?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just had a quote from my insurer Adrian flux, same as it being on the road! They wanted 187 which was only cheaper because I took breakdown cover off.

Any other people worth trying?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You could try Carole Nash. I have just renewed my on road policy for the Corrado. I had been with Footman James who were a very reasonable £170 plus breakdown last year. However the renewal came in at a whopping £375. They would only budge by 10% so I shopped around. Carole Nash came in at £223 including breakdown and guaranteed value. Good luck