Guest sam1990rhodes

Sam's '95 20VT build thread

Guest sam1990rhodes

Just creating a Place Holder or ill never get round to making a build thread!.

Car started life as a 2.0 16v, It now currently has a completely rebuilt 20VT in it.

Foolishly i didn't actually take any pictures before taking it apart

How she currently stands in all her beauty!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85440[/ATTACH]

Having got in touch with the previous owner who had it in their family for 15+ years to get a bit of background information, he was incredibly helpful and honest, apparently he has an accident in it where it slid in to a wall a few years back which would correlate with the damage to the passenger side of the car, namely the rear wheel arch and front bumper.

The bonnet appeared to have been damaged previously as there was extensive amount of filler/corrosion on the top corners, as luck would have it someone 1/2 mile down the road was selling one with clear coat peel at a bargain price!. I was also able to pick up a front and rear replacement bumper and a corrosion free boot lid for free from a member on here!.

Engine Removal:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85441[/ATTACH]

Front cross member and radiator mount was heavily corroded/rusted:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85442[/ATTACH]

Picked up powder coated replacements on the forum.

Engine Out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85443[/ATTACH]

Things to do:

• Replace Boot lid (corrosion around numberplate lights)
  • Replace doors with audi handle mod smoothed doors
  • remove and recondition steering rack
  • relocate battery to boot (90% complete)
  • reupholster
  • respray
  • fit all black door cards (almost there!)

Guest sam1990rhodes

Donor Car:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85446[/ATTACH]

2001 1.8t with AGU engine, the plan was to buy a running car and then break it for parts afterwards, this worked out quite well as i was able to make a profit on breaking the car in turn getting the engine for free!.

First start up of the car after delivery:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85447[/ATTACH]

Tense moment but it started and ran fine, no knocks etc.

Engine Out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85448[/ATTACH]

All that was left at that point was getting the donor car shell scrapped, ended up costing me £50 to have it disposed of as no one wanted the shell for scrap!

Guest sam1990rhodes
This looks promising, but I bet your "things to do" list gets a lot bigger though.

The things to do list is also a work in progress :bonk:

I would love to have the 'know-how' to do be able to do something like this, plus of course the time on my hands to do

it in the first place. Good luck with this.

Guest sam1990rhodes

Engine:

Where im working on the car and where i was working on the engine are around 20 miles apart, fortunately I have a very understanding retired father with a trailer and a 4x4, after a nervous trip up the motor way i got the engine to my house.

Engine removed from the donor car:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85449[/ATTACH]

Stripped down all the ancillarys ready to be rebuilt. It was at that point i noticed the condition of the timing belt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85450[/ATTACH]

By the looks of it the belt had slowly been eating its way through the tensioner, im very surprised it hadn't snapped already:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85451[/ATTACH]

Was now off to have the internals checked over. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of this.

Before I put the ancillarys back on i figured id give it a few coats of Hammerite to make it look a bit prettier and hopefully prevent any further corrosion.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85452[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85453[/ATTACH]

Finally treated myself to a new K03S turbo (off of the later 1.8t's) looking to get around 260bhp out of it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85454[/ATTACH]

(ignore the background, im an untidy nerd for my sins!)

Turbo fitted and new cambelt/water pump and tensioner:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85455[/ATTACH]

Engine ready to be dropped in to the corrado. Note the rear corrado mount bolts straight on to the 1.8t block.

Guest sam1990rhodes

Engine Bay:

Decided to give the engine bay a clean down and respray once id got the old engine out. I've heard loads of good things about autotek stone guard spray paint so opted to rattle can the engine bay myself, it sprays a bit thick like primer so even a fat handed idiot like myself can use it and it turn out decent!. Judge for yourself:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85473[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85474[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85475[/ATTACH]

(unfortunately the final picture of it all painted came out blurry!).

Guest sam1990rhodes

Engine Mounts:

I had an issue with the 1.8t engine on my old Rado fouling the Master Cylinder, with it also being a heavier enginer it was eating its way through front engine mounts... At this point in the build it was July last year and it was coming up to my Birthday I decided to treat myself and purchase Vibra-Technics mounts for all round!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85476[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85477[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85478[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85479[/ATTACH]

The Vibra-Technics mounts are a lot stiffer so the engine doesn't move around as much, they also sit slightly further over than stock mounts; both things that I need to stop Mr.Master Cylinder having an impromptu meeting Mr.Timing Belt.

I also thought it best to replace that rusted front cross-member with a powder coated new bush'd replacement that I picked up from a member on here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85480[/ATTACH]

looking good but will the master cylinder be ok still? I thought the normal fix was to swap to a stubby master cylinder

Guest sam1990rhodes
looking good but will the master cylinder be ok still? I thought the normal fix was to swap to a stubby master cylinder

Its a bit close for comfort but it clears it fine, there is minimal rock in the engine so *fingers crossed* it shouldnt be an issue.

I was considering the stubby master cylinder but ive put 4 pot Brembos on the front and plan to upgrade the rears so wanted as big a master cylinder as possible.

The stubby master cylinders are 23mm I think, so bigger than stock and should be plenty for the Brembos I should think.

Guest sam1990rhodes
The stubby master cylinders are 23mm I think, so bigger than stock and should be plenty for the Brembos I should think.

Intresting, i may have to have a look at that then.

I think you'd need the K04 to get near 260bhp - the K03S just isn't big enough to shift enough air to roll that sort of power, I've spent a lot of time round MK4 20v's the most I ever saw was 250hp on a very generous set of rollers and a heavily modified car. K03S equiped cars are usually nearer the 220-230bhp mark.

Could be worth looking at the Jabbasport IHI kit which would get you well over the 300bhp mark, or maybe the Eliminator kits from the US, I've heard the lag is pretty heavy on them thou...

Guest sam1990rhodes
I think you'd need the K04 to get near 260bhp - the K03S just isn't big enough to shift enough air to roll that sort of power, I've spent a lot of time round MK4 20v's the most I ever saw was 250hp on a very generous set of rollers and a heavily modified car. K03S equiped cars are usually nearer the 220-230bhp mark.

Could be worth looking at the Jabbasport IHI kit which would get you well over the 300bhp mark, or maybe the Eliminator kits from the US, I've heard the lag is pretty heavy on them thou...

I'd be happy with 230bhp to be honest. but ill bear that in mind for future expansions :)

that was my thinking looking at what others have done

Guest sam1990rhodes

Engine/Loom:

Although i'd like to think I could turn my hand to anything the possible headaches caused by a dodgy loom far out weighed the cost of having it made by an auto electrician!, so for the second time I had a loom made by Andy Outhwaite (I'd highly recommend!).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85485[/ATTACH]

After fitting the loom it was time to fit the engine:

Unfortunately I was far to preoccupied with hoisting the engine in to the car to take any photos of the installation process, for those that have never fitted an engine its as boring and as simple as using a crane and slowly lowering it on to the mounts whilst praying you dont scratch your lovely paint work or sheer any cables :p

Anyway some pictures of the engine block in place, all wired up and with Intercooler connected:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85486[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85488[/ATTACH]

I utilised the top boost pipe and bracket from a BAM engine in order to keep some sort of a 'stock' look. Am overall happy with how the boost pipes have come out!. On my last project it was a bit of a squeeze and was to messy looking for my liking.

Brakes:

With all this going power I figured its best I also upgrade the stopping power:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85489[/ATTACH]

Have replaced all the old corrado brake lines with Copper and braided hoses front and back. Currently running 4 pot Brembos on the front running 305mm discs on the original 4x100 hubs and mk4 rear callipers.

Edited by sam1990rhodes

Guest sam1990rhodes

Few other bits and bobs, decided to get the front slam pannel, boost pipes and a few other bits checmically stripped and powder coated:

Stripped:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85529[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]85530[/ATTACH]

Powder coated and fitted:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85535[/ATTACH]

Which brings us about up to date with where I am with my project.

Next step will be fitting the smoothed doors which i keep putting off!.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85531[/ATTACH]

Edited by sam1990rhodes

Guest sam1990rhodes

A small leak!.

I noticed a on a couple of occasions my Corrado was marking its territory underneath the car. On further inspection I discovered the gearbox sump was starting to corrode and was wet...suspecting it to be the seal I ordered a new OEM seal ordered from fleabay at £13 fortunately VW were using this seal on multiple cars including the T5 so there was plenty around.

Drained the gearbox oil and took the sump off, the old seal looked old but in good condition which had me thinking where is this oil leaking from, wire brush time!.

Oops:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85544[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85545[/ATTACH]

As luck would have it I spied Graphite's parts clearance thread and noticed a 5speed gearbox sump cover sat in one of the boxes on his thread, £5+postage later I have myself a new cover.

New seal (from a T5! and sump installed), no more piddling Corrado:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85546[/ATTACH]

Edited by sam1990rhodes

Guest sam1990rhodes

Not been an update in over a week. Having repaired my faulty headlight adjusters with this fancy bodge:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85610[/ATTACH]

I stood back to marvel at my repair to watch the headlight promptly fall off the table smashing the lens in to a million pieces... doh. :bonk:

Just trying to locate a replacement lens.

I have also sent the Steering rack off to be reconditioned so have decided to have the subframe powder coated at the same time.. pictures to follow.

Guest sam1990rhodes

BMW Brake vent fog light replacement!.

So I decided to ditch the front fog lights and replace them with the BMW Brake vent Spoonfed rip offs :cool:

I was asked to put a few pictures up of how i achieved this for someone that was intrested in the same mod, so here we go!.

Step 1: Obtain a pair of fog light surrounds with damaged glass:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85643[/ATTACH]

Step 2: Remove the glass. (correct PPE is advisable, I must of gone through an entire box of plasters :bonk:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85646[/ATTACH]

Step 3: Remove the fog light reflector, to do this you have to unscrew the adjuster from the back of fog light.

Step 4: Using a dremmel I carefully began to remove the rear of the fog light surround, I would suggest doing this part in two stages:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85649[/ATTACH]

Stage 1: remove the surround being careful to not cut off the retaining clip on the right of this picture

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85652[/ATTACH]

Stage 2: remove the remainder of the plastic where the lens would sit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85655[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85658[/ATTACH]

Step 5: try the vent for size. I had to swap the dremmel bit for a sanding bit to work down some of the edges of the fog light surround to get a better fit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85661[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85664[/ATTACH]

Step 6: Using TigerSeal bond the vent to the surround and then primer. I used a couple of small clamps to hold the surround and the vent together whilst it set.

Step 7: Fit to car!!. Sit back and relax and enjoy your hard work!.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85667[/ATTACH]

Over all I'm happy with the finish, it sits perfectly and hopefully will look awesome once painted. If i get bored of these i can always swap it back to fog lights as I kept the original lights and the loom is still in place.

Final: Ignore the condition of the body work!, Looking to get it booked in for a respray when funds allow it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85670[/ATTACH]

Guest sam1990rhodes

Been so busy these past two weeks taking off the subframe to have it all powder coated and steering rack repaired that I didnt take many pictures. Heres the only one ive got:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85814[/ATTACH]

Safe to say im not in any rush to take the subframe off any time soon.

Guest sam1990rhodes

Have rang the power steering place today. Giving it till tomorow For them to find it. If not i'll have yours off you. Am hoping I can get the bracket on without removing the subframe again.

Guest sam1990rhodes
Did you find the passenger side rack mount?

They've managed to find the bracket and are posting it out today. Ill let you know if it goes wrong and i need yours still :)