knightrider

Full Set VR6 Suspension Bushes - Supplier?

I want to replace ALL the bushes and the ball joints on my 1994 Corrado VR6. It's al;l pretty knackered so want to do the full monty. I want to keep it all 'OEM', dont want poly such as Powerflex.

Which make does the job? Febi? And who would have all of them, where can I buy them?

GSF sell most of them i think, i would go Febi and Lemforder. VW parts just seem a rip off these days

IIRC you can buy new front wishbones that have bushes already in them

some people use R32 bushes in front wishbones but make sur eyou use standard OE corrado rear beam bushes to retain the function it was designed for

VW parts just seem a rip off these days

i find that both local stealer & main UK VW are utter t***s!! (no offense Thursdave)

they simply can not be arsed to look for info regarding old cars

if the guy who works in the parts dept at my local stealer says to me one more time that he 'wont find anything on the system for a corrado' before he even looks at the damn system i swear i will bounce his head off the desk!!!

Heritage on the other hand couldnt be happier to delve into things for you, in particular Luke was excellent when trying to find out about the coolant hose pressure reducer :)

In fairness to the parts dept I'd bet 80% of enquiries for older cars end up with the caller going to Europoo, because of the prices and also in our case parts being obsolete too?

Most people who go to work in the car trade start out as enthusiasts but end up like the rest of us going to work to pay our bills, they do say never turn your hobby / interest into your occupation?

I had a great local dealer, always wanting me to bring the car in, always interested in it, and they were building a mk1 scirocco from a bare shell in the workshop for the directors son.

VW closed it a few years back now, i miss it.

In fairness to the parts dept I'd bet 80% of enquiries for older cars end up with the caller going to Europoo, because of the prices and also in our case parts being obsolete too?

in all honesty Dox it is purely the guys attitude that sucks - the previous guy, ben, was awesome. a young lad that loved the rado & wanted to see it whenever i went there. i even took him out in the VR as he had never been in one but had always wanted to

the first time i had to deal with the guy who replaced ben i only wanted some coolant hose tension clips which are a generic part - so to be greeted with 'im not going to find anything for that' before he had even looked on the system or asked what part i wanted was very annoying

the second time he was insisting he couldnt find a part or any info without my VIN - which was complete crap as when i called main VW they got my VIN from my reg automatically

hey ho i know not to bother with my local stealer now & ask Thursdave as he is much more helpful

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

I buy all my stuff from AVS VW (http://www.vwspares.co.uk/), always been massively helpful and prices are great as well, and if its VW specific he usually just gets it direct from VW and saves me the hassle of an hours round trip to collect the parts. As for make if Febi is available I always go with them, I often find its better quality than the OEM stuff, certainly a million times cheaper!

Edited by swiftkid

I had a great local dealer, always wanting me to bring the car in, always interested in it, and they were building a mk1 scirocco from a bare shell in the workshop for the directors son.

VW closed it a few years back now, i miss it.

It sounds like the dealer I used to use, closed because the site wasn't big enough for a glass palace.

I buy all my stuff from AVS VW (http://www.vwspares.co.uk/), always been massively helpful and prices are great as well, and if its VW specific he usually just gets it direct from VW and saves me the hassle of an hours round trip to collect the parts. As for make if Febi is available I always go with them, I often find its better quality than the OEM stuff, certainly a million times cheaper!

I'm lucky that my road going car is ex Isle of Man so corrosion of the underpinnings is quite light (no road salt used in winter) compared with the non runner UK storm which is very grotty in comparison, so I only replace the minimum as I find OE VW stuff lasts at least twice as long as febi / lemforder on my MK4 Golf based cars that I've run for the last 15 years or so (golf, Toledo, Octavia, a3 etc)

I get most of my stuff from Heritage now , I got my wishbones from them . They are so helpful . The only problems I have had , is ive been sent MK2 Golf parts a few times. I.E. , front disc guards and rear stub axle covers .

I want to replace ALL the bushes and the ball joints on my 1994 Corrado VR6. It's al;l pretty knackered so want to do the full monty. I want to keep it all 'OEM', dont want poly such as Powerflex.

Which make does the job? Febi? And who would have all of them, where can I buy them?

If you ever get a full list of what you're swapping and where you bought them I'd be interested, this will be one of my jobs at some point ;) - I want the OEM feel to.

This is the car with the potential head gasket issue (posted in another thread)that I took down (only 50 miles) to JMR - John Mitchell Racing in Littlehampton. There are numbers of jobs that need doing, apart from the coolant loss and rough running, one of which is to replace all the suspension bushes and joints . Very tired, 190,00 miles.

I've asked for estimates so I can decide which jobs to do this time round and which I can leave for the moment. Whilst I'm happy to spend a fair bit of money, I'd like to have a rough idea what each 'job' will cost. I've intentionally not asked for quotes - thought that was unfair as you don't know what you'll find with a 24 y/o car. I don't want to go down the route saying "whatever you think needs doing and to whatever quality, just do it". That will be completely open ended and I will have no idea what the final bill will be. Aligning my 'target end point' needs agreeing. Do I want a nice driveable car that I can keep and gradually sort out over time (yes) or an immaculate completely refurbed, like new 'investors, store in a heated barn, concourse winning car (no).

Apparantly the work for him to provide these ball-park estimates will be difficult and time consuming for him - spending time on the phone and on-line sourcing parts, calculating the number of hours labour involved and so on. Informed me of this in a phone call on Wednesday.

So I thought I'd try and help him out by choosing one 'job' to provide him with at least the parts costs.

Thanks for your responses so far, much appreciated. I've a feeling this may run a bit!!

As per Geeba's post above, anyone got a full list of all the bushes/parts needed handy?

And yup, I have in mind that the rear beam bushes need to be such that they provide the flexing/rear steering.