Wendy

Purple Bricks

Hi all,

Has anyone any experience with either Selling or Purchasing through Purple Bricks and able to offer their views.

I am down sizing so ideally spending the minimum on a house sale, but as the £849 price is lost if not sold, I am interested in others experience.

Also would you view a house that is on the market with Purple Bricks or prefer to go through a local agent with attending viewings and negotiaters ?

Thanks in advance

Wendy

As far as viewing is concerned Wendy, they advertise on all the big sites (Rightmove, zoopla etc),so it shouldn't be a problem getting potential buyers in with that in mind, and you mention local agents boot attending so I assume they don't (I've not used them)but I bought a house through a high street estate agent a few years back, and it was the home owner that showed us around too. Many do it, so I suppose it comes down to personal preference as a buyer and seller. You're pretty confident wfrom the brief times I've met you so shouldn't have a problem getting the important info across, so as long as buyers aren't put off by it (I wasn't) then it should be fine.

Umm !! I have been advised if completing my own viewings - to not crowd them !! :-)

We [nearly] bought a house through purple bricks and the experience was absolutely shocking.

The house went on the market for a decent enough price and brought in plenty of viewings.. On the open day, everyone was left to wander as they pleased whilst the agent sat in the living room on the phone. Not something i'd fancy if selling!

We made an offer, which was accepted. This could only be done online, in a sort of bidding format. To not have the vendors response to my offer, just a green or red box come up to tell me if it was accepted felt very unpersonal.

As the sale was proceeding, there was literally no input from purple bricks as the agent or their conveyors. every single quiery, question, push along etc was from my selling agent or myself. I didnt have asingle phone call after offer accepted.

As we got about two weeks away from completion, my conveyor told me there had been an issue raised with subsidance. This could have all been dealt with so much quicker had the vendor used high street agents and conveyors. We pulled out, too far down the line not to proceed with the sale of my own property. I then had two weeks to find a rental property so as not to be out on the street!

I'm not saying this is all down to them, but you get what you pay for. I negotiated a 1% including vat deal on selling my place and the agents couldn't have done more to earn their money. Great service, property photos, detail, contact, viewings and a designated sales progresser. Purple bricks want their upfront fee and then really couldnt care less if you sell.. it's a business model destined to fail, but a great short term earner whilst people fall into the trap.

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Bristolbaron - you have just highlighted my fears.

A house is for Sale in the village - too cheap - with Purple Bricks.

I kinda got the impression Purple Bricks were encouraging a price war - through the exact way you suggest.

Interestingly my meeting with the Purple Bricks Agent last Friday was a little surprisng too.

1/Took 10 days before he could visit.

2/Had done no homework and could not value my house stating he did not know the area well enough.

3/ Probably most importantly - did not once say he liked my house. Perhaps proving the Sale is through the Internet sites with little imput from the Agent encouraging people suppossedly on their books to visit.

4/ A week later - heard nothing, despite knowing I want to get moving !!!

I had a long conversation with Chris (Vag-hag) last night.

He made a very good point through his experience in his work. Many many many people are still not using the Internet, scared of it, don't have a PC, Laptop etc and would rather use a person in a local agent.

This made me think about people i work with and including my own brother (5 years younger than me ) - loadds of them use a PC for specific items they have been taught for their work and Nothing Else. !!! Although this seems really alien to me and probably most on here I think it is a very valid point.

I had wondered who the hell still used local Travel Agents - my last time was probably 20 years ago if not longer, but then there are still 2 in my local town. I think this adds credance to Chris's point.

So annoying as sadly the price difference is quite large, the down side of living in the south.

But at least I have a Gravel drive and Wood burning stove !!!! Fuzz, Vag Hag, Matty !!!! :-) For now !!!

In my experience purple bricks is fine if you're used to selling house, happy to do the leg work and on a very tight budget.

If you want a dedicated contact to talk to/shout at if something goes wrong it's best to go with a local agent. Also, if they're any good they'll have a list of potential buyers without even having to advertise!

When we sold 2 years ago we used a local agent, had it sold in 3 days for £20k over asking, and got 0.5% plus vat for the fee. Although Cambridge is a very unique market.