Jim Bowen

Reusing flywheel bolts

Was hoping to fit engine this weekend and had ordered new flywheel bolts as they are meant to be renewed. But they never arrived so can't get on for the whole weekend.

Anyone had a bad experience in the past when reusing them. I know I've done it before and not had any problems.

I used new on my one after a rebuild. As annoying as it is not being able to crack on with it, I would be tempted to wait. I'm guessing you've been through a lot of work(timing chains??) would be a shame, if it were to go wrong, for the sake of a week??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does say they are stretch bolts, but all three sets I've got here all still look identical and same length.

That's my dilemma, do i wait until next weekend and fit new or just get it all done this long weekend.

Bentley manual says replace, but I've reused many in the past with no issues with fresh thread lock

any particular threadlock to use? I've got 2 sets of flywheel bolts, both look the same length so not sure if i should replace

Thanks Simeon.  Is it red or blue?  I think the blue is medium strength and red high strength, or something like that...

Ok cool thanks.  Ordered red and blue now just in case.  With red i was worried it would then be impossible to undo without the risk of shearing the head of the bolt