carrots

possible faulty battery

just been out in the corrado and it started fine.got to my mates and turned it off.i went to start it 10 mins later and it turned over very slow then just clicked.ive checked the terminals which were dirty but ok.as i turned the key he noticed a bad smell like bad eggs then smokeing coming out of the battery vent on the side.we bumped it and i drove it home about 6 mile .turned it off and it started twice then just clicked.battery must be 5-6 years old

Check the terminals on the battery and clamps are clean and that the cable clamps are pushed down properly before tightening. Charge the battery overnight and check it the next day. If it's still temperamental then it could be a cell in the battery that's failed. Best to then replace it. I got a Bosch s3 (iirc) which so far is brilliant.

And change the crap, old and brittle wiring from the starter/alternator to positive on battery if you can.

Did mine yonks ago and gained a little volt wise, also changing the main earth lead helps a lot too, as does changing the battery terminals.

20+ year old materials that now have quite high resistenze compared to newer, more modern wiring materials.

Edited by VEEDUBBED

It's had a new positive lead because it was close to snapping and the earth lead was taken off and cleaned .i am thinking battery,I work for a car parts supplier so I might just get a new battery