16vMatt

16vMatt's VR6

Picked up my VR late march last year and wanted to post up some pics up of it for a while. As the pictures show it was a bit battered and bruised on the passenger side. A previous owner had reversed his trailer into it.

065b0a4064d405710fc4a42dbb5efe09.jpg

The night I went to pick it up it decided it didn't quite want to leave its previous owner just yet and a mile down the road decided to dump all its coolant (faulty expansion tank cap) picked it up a week later and remember gleaming when I first put my foot down and hearing the VR6 burble. My 18 year old self instantly fell in love with the car and I decided there and then that this one wouldn't be getting sold like my 16v.

Stuck some pressed plates, a pipercross air filter on, replaced the heater matrix as the original had been bypassed and gave the car a full service whilst waiting to raise funds for a respray and much need bodywork. Luckily I knew a guy with a stud welder for pulling dents out so the passenger side was pulled back into shape and the car was resprayed in it's oringinal colour: Classic Green.

c45de68f762a226935df50d320705da1.jpg

e18327ac2cdda63c3f4341ce13401aa4.jpg

I then drove the car around for a few months fitted a new wiper motor and alternator as they both packed in, then fitted a new clutch in August along with a new ignition coil aswell as it developed a misfire a few weeks later.

All was going well until September when my passenger side drive shaft came loose and cut a hole in my gearbox which left a large puddle of oil in the middle of some four way lights which wasn't embarassing at all. I then decided the car might aswell stay off the road for winter and got the gearbox welded up and put some fresh gearbox oil in.

I then put the car back on the road in February drove the car for another month before I decided it was time to do something about the lofty suspension so I dealt with that with the help of some AP coilovers. (Also fitted new front top mounts at the same time) 2x track rod ends also.

e9ca44f158d514590fd4cf0c1dfbcda6.jpg

0afab907ac89913340c1c10bbeac8b27.jpg

35233ed70affede493bd75d1621d8a02.jpg

At this point I also fited a radio as I had been driving for nearly a year with no noise other than the engine which was plenty enougn for me but a slight annoyance for my passengers as they had to listen to me ramble on about the car for the whole journey.

I then fitted the TT wishbone bushes last month along with a new sump gasket and I've now decided to strip the car down and respray it in VW Magic Black Pearl and refurb my wheels so hopefully this thread will motivate me to get it finished and not leave it for months on end like I have with previous projects. I also have a one 16vDave's short shift kits on the way, some 288 brakes I got from lilfuzzer which I still haven't got round to fitting and I'm in need of a new radiator as my original one has soiled itself.

d62b65091145751ef646a104f7719024.jpg

c80148fdcf070767db00e7c324f58aa8.jpg

Edited by 16vMatt

That was a fair panel repair on the quarter! Looks good though. Look forward to seeing more on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had your fair share of mishaps already then , looking nice and coming on well . That side repair looks great.

Cheers for the comments fellas it's certainly not been a cheap car to own so far.

Update from today: Had to go to the paint shop for materials for another job so I got 0.1l of Magic Black Pearl just too see whether I liked how it looked in person or not. Sprayed it onto one of my spare panels and still undecided ATM will have to wait till tomorrow when I've denibbed and polished it to make the decision.

Shot of the "off the gun" finish a2326ae59525da9ffc64e467140e6401.jpg

Got abit more done so far this week: removed the bump strips either side, masked up windows and removed a few more pieces of trim. Managed to get the wings and both bumpers into primer earlier today. 8e887dc2f756529f61f0b2ca3144168c.jpg2ee59de48220dfffcb7dab3f8d8f92d2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Productive day not for work done just for cock ups and mistakes on my part.

Managed to crack the numberplate surround with my hamfisted attempt at removing it.

Started the short shift install got to the last step of removing the small clip at the bottom of the shifter and I can't for the life of me get at it so that's a job I've left for tomorrow.

Also hit a wall with removing the mirrors. The loom connections seem welded together as I cannot get them apart at all for some reason even though the washer jets share the same sort of connection and they came off with one hand.

However one thing to come of today is the spoiler and fuel cap at both removed and in primer.db14cd6b63064b10ea7006f8610045a5.jpg397183c317b4867d0b7bd5bf72012c70.jpg765a9162b22f13de358b2f80ee64f0cc.jpg

No updates for a whilst as I've had personal problems which I won't bore you with.

The car is now mostly in primer and looking almost ready for paint. Had a change of heart with the colour and thought I'd try some LB5R (Deep Blue Pearl) the same colour as offered on the R32. Decided to spray part of the car with it instead of using one of my spare panels as I wanted to see whether the lines of the car would complement it well.

Have to say I'm rather happy with it and plan to paint the full car in this colour unless I have a sudden change of heart.

5798fb39f1ae5d0a3233b9de9fdad0c1.jpg

That is a great colour. Did you get the wing mirror plugs off? I used some wd40 and a screwdriver to lift the plastic Circular tab.

Good luck with the work

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That is a great colour. Did you get the wing mirror plugs off? I used some wd40 and a screwdriver to lift the plastic Circular tab.

Good luck with the work

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers I thought black was a bit boring much prefer this, used that method in the end and they came apart easy

Hoping to crack on with the car next week and get it done, car went on the back burner whilst I've been working on other things.

Car is now in primer after I got the welder out and welded up the badge holes to smooth the back panel. Bonnet got painted today hoping for bumpers by Monday then rest of the car later on in the week. Then it's new wheels/tyres and back on the road.

f65731db0eb5e64f00851a097c6ecbb2.jpg3d51f205e3f86ee716e4b72e254e2a2f.jpg

Hoping to crack on with the car next week and get it done, car went on the back burner whilst I've been working on other things.

Car is now in primer after I got the welder out and welded up the badge holes to smooth the back panel. Bonnet got painted today hoping for bumpers by Monday then rest of the car later on in the week. Then it's new wheels/tyres and back on the road.

f65731db0eb5e64f00851a097c6ecbb2.jpg3d51f205e3f86ee716e4b72e254e2a2f.jpg

Love that colour and what you've done so far - you are giving me ideas.

Good luck with rest of car

Great work mate. Are you spraying it yourself? Mine needs body work so trying to get an idea of the cost of a full respray

Cheers for the comments chaps, yes I am spraying it myself Swompy with my last Corrado I was quoted £1500 for a full windows out proper job but that was a cash in hand mates rates deal.

Long overdue update on the VR to put it simply I've been busy enjoying my new Mk2 but my Radiator arrived today after a two week wait. Hoping to get back on track now I've got no excuse as I have everything needed to finish the car just need to paint the thing.fb3d33fa467c5577d1141646ae049b34.jpg

Radiator fitted and filled full of fresh coolant, first time starting her up for about 4 month and finally got to try 16vDaves short shift kit only reversed her a bit to make some space but the kit is brilliant really changed the car for the best. Now I've heard the engine running again and moved it about under its own steam I'm keen to get stuck in.351790ad654cebf602d5f67e32d8d259.jpg

With my golf,my brothers T4 and my winter daily all needing love the VR has lost out I'm afraid. It is currently sat primered in the corner of the unit. It won't see the road now until spring with summer coming to an end. I've decided to park it up until I've got everything else out of my hair as I've too much going on ATM.

4ab86c5714e136b2fc932923bae3b8b8.jpg

Can't wait to see the LB5R on with all the trimming's, gonna look awesome Matt, I've just SORN my black corrado for the winter, a bit early but hope to get my garage built before winter kick's in, these car's have to be out of the weather!

Can't wait to see the LB5R on with all the trimming's, gonna look awesome Matt, I've just SORN my black corrado for the winter, a bit early but hope to get my garage built before winter kick's in, these car's have to be out of the weather!
Cheers hopefully it'll come out well, no point driving them in the wet IMHO and not worth getting the underneath covered in salty mush. Especially if you've got a more suitable car for winter which luckily I have4c362522cc49772c4700f621150ca931.jpg

Got the Corrado running properly for the first time in a whilst. For the past few months when I've had to move it, it wouldn't idle. Found a loose vac hose so it's now back to running properly.

Looking at taking the wings off to paint them separately just to make things bit easier. I've got all the bolts out and I've searched the forum and know about the sealer that has to be cut through/heated with a heat gun.

Haven't got a heat gun so armed myself with a stanley knife but struggling to find where the join is tbh where I need to cut through the sealant and don't want to go in all guns blazing and end up scratching/cutting things unnecessarily. Anyone able to point out where I need to cut. Cheers

ec49f3a67197706063b7d8260e00aa06.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Took me about 6 months but I finally painted the wheel I took off earlier this year. Chose Ford Moondust silver as it's a bit more shiny shiny than the OEM silver. This was the worst wheel on the car so it's not perfect but a vast improvement over its previous condition.

Give me another 18

months and no doubt I'll have done the other 3.

Tip: traffic cones make great wheel stands178b9d01cd061c50a1202dd5d854e5ff.jpge7a2b9db0ed8c65295a940b2058936fe.jpg

Got this week off so told myself I wasn't going to do anything else until I've finished the VR so finished prepping it and reprimed it as I had rubbed through a fair few parts of it getting rid of little scratches that it had acquired whilst being parked up.

Aiming to sand the primer tomorrow and paint Friday/Saturday. Though I am having second thoughts about the colour change as I'm not doing inside of the boot so it would look a sight in my opinion so might just stick with Classic Green but still undecided.e5b145eb808948041f2736cc0c0b0cb6.jpg

Saw another rado for sale on ebay in the same blue as the bonnet. I thought you had finished it and had it up for sale after buying the mk2. I guess not. Tbh I wasn't sure the colour really suited it.

Saw another rado for sale on ebay in the same blue as the bonnet. I thought you had finished it and had it up for sale after buying the mk2. I guess not. Tbh I wasn't sure the colour really suited it.
I think I saw the one you're on about and that put me off a bit aswell tbh.