mooG60

engine question

My car had been garaged for 16 years.. (G60)

Today I tried to manually turn over the engine. Before hand I removed the plugs and squirted a touch of wd40 and 10/40 oil in the pots.

I couldn't get a socket on the crank so I tried turning it from the blower and it did not move. I then put it in gear and rocked the car very slightly.

The alternator turned a small amount and I heard a small knock sound come from the engine area. I gently repeated this twice more and got the same effect.

I then tried to turn it again from the blower with success. The engine turned fairly freely until one point in the cycle where it became a bit stiff and the belt started to slip on the crank pulley.

I reversed the direction of turn a couple of times and it freed itself. It now turns with little effort and no banging noise.

I did a basic compression test with one plug in at a time. I got compression in 3 of the cylinders but nothing in no4.

So, does it sound like I've done some serious damage, or is there some possibility that a valve could be slightly stuck open without any damage occurring?

Any thoughts and advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited by mooG60
include more info

First thing to do is remove all 4 plugs, then try again putting the car in 5th and turning it over.

Absolute must is to change both supercharger belt and timing belt.. The timing belt may have jumped a tooth or two whilst you were trying to turn over the engine maybe?

You mentioned that you did a compression test and got no reading off no.4 cylinder, I take it that the engine must have been span over then, in order to get the zero reading?

First thing to do is remove all 4 plugs,

Sorry, I did do that and have added it to my description.

Thanks

You don't want to be turning the engine over from the charger. The crank pulley is a multi-spline bolt so you need a proper socket. How did you perform the compression test and what were the actual results per each cylinder? Chances are it's a valve that is stuck open if you're reading 0 compression. At the end if the day if it has sat for 16 years the engine is going to need stripped and rebuilt, as will the charger.

You don't want to be turning the engine over from the charger. The crank pulley is a multi-spline bolt so you need a proper socket. How did you perform the compression test and what were the actual results per each cylinder? Chances are it's a valve that is stuck open if you're reading 0 compression. At the end if the day if it has sat for 16 years the engine is going to need stripped and rebuilt, as will the charger.

Sadly I didn't have the tool for the crank and lack of knowledge made me use the blower to turn it over.

I did the compression test with a proper tester and manually turning the engine with the blower. I got a small reading in each cylinder except no 4. I then fitted one spark plug and turned it over to check for resistance in the firing cycle, (in each pot) which confirmed no compression in no4.

I was planning on doing the charger but hoping the engine would fire and run for now as it was in good order when garaged all those years ago.

What I am really trying to ascertain is......is it possible for a valve to be stuck open a slightly with out damage being caused to the valve, cam shaft or cylinder while it's been cranked over?

Thanks for the reply.

The G60 engine is non-interference so even with a valve stuck fully open the piston top won't touch it. Pull the cam cover off and check the movement in the hydraulic tappets at number 4 while turning over. There are methods to get moving again without a drastic tear down if this is the case. The G60 lump is a simple engine and very easy to work on.

The G60 engine is non-interference so even with a valve stuck fully open the piston top won't touch it................

This is very good news after a terrible start to my week, and is what I was hoping for. Thanks Jamo!!

One question that you may be able to answer....

I managed to knock the timing out a fair amount when the belt slipped on the crank pulley when I initially manually turned it over.

With the timing out, is it possible that the valve actually works but is just out of sync with the cylinder?

Edited by mooG60