Sign in to follow this  
Valver

Colour-coding a gearbox?...how?..

Guys

I want to colour code my gearbox. Now, what do I paint it with to stop it from flaking etc from engine/block heat?...

Do I use the high temp paint as an under/base coat and apply the colour and then lacquer it or can I just have extra hardener mixed with the paint?.....

Thanks in advance.

:wink:

Surely the question should be why, not how?

exactly what I was thinking

I've used hammerrite on gearbox on my RST. Gave it a great finish. Well worth doing while the box is out. Would advise you use the spray not the brush on. The spray can get in to the small awkward part the brush can't.

Surely the question should be why, not how?

Well, in my case, I'd just spent over £1000 on the gearbox, so I wanted it to look a little nicer seeing as the casing has done over 250,000 miles and was a little grubby! :roll:

Yeah, this gearbox going into mine is filthy - it's already off the car so it's gonna get degreased/cleaned up and then painted in the body colour while the flywheel gets lightened and clutch replaced..... :wink:

Ah fair enough, if you've got the gearbox out anyway and you're painting it silver. I had visions of you painting a gearbox Dragon Green or somesuch in-situ.