VR6 South

External Rear Window Seal Query

Can these be easily replaced or are they bonded in with the window? I mean the hatch window and not the side windows.

Thanks

Can these be easily replaced or are they bonded in with the window? I mean the hatch window and not the side windows.

Thanks

finding them is an issue, as in finding a replacement

VW discontinued them & Heritage dont have them

ive seen somewhere in the US advertising them but no idea on their fitment or quality - http://www.vintagerubber.com/CorradoRearHatchGlassSeal.aspx

AFIK the rear screen rubber is not bonded to the glass, which the rear quarter window rubbers are, & from what ive researched it depends on the skill of the person you use to remove/refit glass as to it they can remove the window & rubber such that it can be reused

Pls do let me know your findings as i am preparing for paint on my VR

I thought they were bonded.....

Mine was removed when it went for paint Martin, and it came out and went back in without any damage the same as the screen (although I wish it had been which would have been good for a replacement). I used Erb motors in Copnor behind toys r us, although they outsourced the glass removal and fitting. Did a really neat job so may be worth a call to see who they use if you're struggling mate.

Thanks Sean. I will see if the seal in the spare hatch can be gently persuaded to come out. I guess it would need to come out to allow the existing glass to be cut out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely bonded in. ..then has a rubber seal that pushes in all around the edge.

Good luck and warm it up so it doesn't split as easily.

I think I watched a you tube clip on how to remove it first.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

the trim should come out but be careful not to stretch it as you pull it out using a plastic trim tool.

squirting soapy water around the edge sometimes helps

run the tool around the trim and see where the trim moves the most and start there.

using cutting wire is the best way to remove be careful not to damage heating connectors which are soldered on

Removal of the trim was very straight forward. I managed to start from a top corner by gently pulling the trim from the outer edge, the inner edge came out by itself. Then it was a case of gently and slowly pulling the trim away. Simple job unless the trim has been bonded in after a screen replacement. Hopefully it will be nearly as easy to refit.

Removal of the trim was very straight forward. I managed to start from a top corner by gently pulling the trim from the outer edge, the inner edge came out by itself. Then it was a case of gently and slowly pulling the trim away. Simple job unless the trim has been bonded in after a screen replacement. Hopefully it will be nearly as easy to refit.

thanks for the update, fingers crossed for you