jekel

2.8 v's 2.9

Hello, currently building up a blue VR6 which has a 2.8 Golf VR6 fitted with 65000 miles not wired or plumbed in yet.

Got a white VR6 with fully rebuilt 2.9, rebuilt gearbox, just been hit by motorbike, insurance want to Cat D it even though just door, and dint in arch (bit of a side swipe rather than big collision), I can keep car, everything mechanical on white one brand new, or like year old so good parts bin for blue one. White one rust free, and assessor of opinion could'nt find another door in that nick, and not repairable, can't get new.

What can I do to 2.8 to up power a bit without turboing, white on got new EV6 injectors, decat, BDA carbon filter, which can all go on and I'll fit the 2.9 throttle. 2.9's have diff. cams do they?

I'd like to give 2.8 a run, I'll probs keep 2.9 as a spare, can I see 200 bhp or more from the 2.8?

Can't help you on hp figures, all I can say is when my original 2.9 got miley and started to burn more oil (stem seals it turned out)than I was comfortable with, I swapped it for a lower mileage 2.8 bare engine from a Golf. I couldn't tell any difference between the two, power or driveability.

Both the 2.8 and 2.9 would need head work and/or cams to see 200+ bhp, I wouldn't think filter, exhaust type mods would do the trick... but you could fall lucky on a generous set of rollers.

Whilst the 2.8 is out have it bored to 2.9?

Just keep going with build and repair the white one IMO. If its only door and wing get spares and repair.

FYI I had a highline golf so OBDII and its was completely standard inc exhaust/induction and it was running 194bhp so the 2.8 is not really that much different. I doubt you would notice the difference.

Just put the inlet manifold from the 2.9 onto the 2.8 as the plenum is larger so feeds more air in. You'll probably be close to a 2.9 with regard to bhp with that alone by all accounts.

Just keep going with build and repair the white one IMO. If its only door and wing get spares and repair.

FYI I had a highline golf so OBDII and its was completely standard inc exhaust/induction and it was running 194bhp so the 2.8 is not really that much different. I doubt you would notice the difference.

I've only got garage room for one, building blue one at Chris's (Lilfuzzer), hoping to have blue one ready shortly, and was going to use Koni's, interior, for blue one, probs. all ancillaries and sensors, brand new, from white one. Think just bought last new MAF available, tracked one down in Denmark, fitted 3 days before crash, lot of new parts on the white one already very hard to get, be kicking myself can't get stuff shortly and had got rid of white one which was like a brand new parts bin.

I'd heard that bout 2.8's, I'm fitting 2.8 to OBD1 wiring in Corrado, hopefully will work, does OBD11 make any diff to power.

2.9 was remapped, I'll try that ECU too, but remapped before fitting EV6 injectors. Running them with 3 bar pressure regulator which still gives more flow than standard injectors at 4 bar, but way too rich at tickover at 4 bar, I'm assured if remapped by someone good though it'll run at 4 bar, and more power to come, on 2.9, and don't see why not 2.8.

The 2.8 is a bit more torque and a bit less top end, by standard, and I believe that's a combination of the inlet manifold design and the camshaft profile. Though as others have said you wouldn't really notice on the road unless you're constantly pushing it past 5k rpm. To see 200bhp (for bragging rights alone) you'll probably need camshafts. The 263 degree cams are a good buy.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Think I'll hook up 2.8 with 2.9 throttle etc., stick decat, mapped ecu and intake system and see how goes, always got the 2.9 sat there if fancy, which goes exceptionally well.

The 2.8's are apparently better choice if ever want to turbo it are go big power, less likely to go oval as stronger walls. 2.9 is pretty much bored to limit from outset I'm told, so handy having both