Dazz_G60_Wales

Strange intermittent rattle at top end G60 variable rpm

As titled my G60 has gradually started getting a rattle at around 2000 rpm plus.

But is quiet at idle up to about 1500rpm.

I will be out today so will check any helpful advice when I get back about 7ish.

Her is the link to the video.

Cheers All

Just come back from Barry and She's running fine.

Even had a quick blast with a scooby sti on the way back on the M4 as I have been a little delicate with her of late. apart from the sti slighty pulling away She kept up well..

Shes running the best She has done for a while so it's not bottem end its top for sure,just wondering what as it sounds a bit ****ey when cruising.

Historically for me it's been two things. Usually it's a loose part like a heat shield or cover which vibrates at that rpm but on an occasion it's been my timing chain.. Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help but

No timing chain on her Bud She is a G60 and nothing rattling as such checked all pulleys shields etc.

Hoping somebody with a G60 who has had this may know.

Sounds like a dodgy tappet to me. Are they hydraulic like on the VR?? The reason I ask is because it sounds similar to my VR that has one sticky tappet, sometimes you can here it, others she's quiet as a mouse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really wanted somebody to say that Rado because thats exactly what I think it is just looking for a. Second opinion from somebody who has had simular issues

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I think because She is laid up for 6 months of the year one or 2 of them have stuck and not really freeing up.

After i gave her that blast on the motorway She did not seem as bad ?

Sounds like a reasonable cause for the issue. I don't use mine an awful lot either, only for fun really. I've been told that the oil I use is too thick, it's a 10 60 Mobil 1. Apparently I should put a 5 30 in it!?? Seems a bit to refined for the old girl if you ask me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an oil change recently and some forte head treatment put in.

Hoping that would sort it ,its a little quieter but its still there.

I should have asked them what oil they put in but they are a big percentage vw garage so they should know ?

I had a similar sounding rattle on my G60 which like yours was not present at idle. Mine was the idler pulley bearing.

If you don't have one i'd advice investing in a stethoscope. Makes locating the source of a rattle much easier.

Thanks Dox but this is from an amazon review of the forte top end treatment so if that has not done it I think best to replace all the lifters with new ?

"Had issues with PSA engine tappets. 2 oils changes, a wynns lifter treatment and forte engine flush done but tappets still clattering at cold start ups until the engine was hot. Put this top end treatment in with the new oil, drove for an hour and for the last 5 days not heard any tappets sticking making any noises. So far so good. This product has done what it says on the label. The wynns didn't do anything. Pay the extra 10 pounds and try this before you strip your engine to inspect the tappets".

I will try the stethoscope first as mark recommended as it maybe a bearing issue ?

Thanks but not adding anthing after the forte.

If I can proove it is a faulty lifter i will be happy to buy a new set and get them fitted if it solves the issue.

Really after somebody who has had the same problem rather than take too many stabs in the dark

Hi

An update since using the stethoscope that Mark mentioned.

The noise seems to be coming from the bottom right of the engine around the gearbox area.

Its deffo at its loudest there ,trying elsewhere around the engine the noise is much quieter.

It also seems to come in now as you start the revs where it wasn't doing that before.

I am starting to think something in the gearbox or a rod bearing nearer that side maybe.

Again any suggestions would be great.

I just get this black, blank square on the page.

I've tried to open the dam thing but nowt seems to work..

Lol i will try and send it on email in the morning but I am off to Portugal for a week so will have to get back to you a week Monday Bud.