fla

Mocal oil cooler drain plug

Has anyone fitted a drain plug or valve to their mocal oil cooler? Thinking of doing this but would welcome any advice or experience.

Is your oil cooler lower than your sump? Because if it isn't the will it not drain when you drain your sump? and if it is I would be worried more about it hitting the floor...

What would be the need for a drain on the cooler?

No its on the slam panel so quite high. Well ideally its to remove any old oil when doing an oil change as it retains some oil there. There's something satisfying in having clean oil on the dipstick not cloudy black stuff!

In that case I would guess the oil drains from the cooler when you drain the car, or maybe even when the pump is inactive, in any case no I have attached a drain plug to mine, I just always assumed the oil would drain when I drain the car.

In my experience oil stays in the matrix of the cooler for ages. I've had coolers off a car for months before and even after draining it, next time I turn it upside down more always comes out haha! My advice would to be to do more regular oil changes. If your sump is old, I would be tempetd to take it off and clean the bottom of the inside. If your engine hasn't been rebuilt in the cars recent history you'll more than likely have a build up of silt/small particles residing on the sump pan.