Sign in to follow this  
pgush

Synthetic oil???

Hi

I have a 1.8 16v which is curently running on normal oil. Was thinking of converting to Synthetic oil. is there anyone who has doen this and if so is there any advise that you could give me.

thanks

Fully synthetic oil is too thin for a 1.8 16V... stick with some good quality semi synthetic like VW's Quanta Silver oil... it's good stuff and not very expensive either... 8)

Thanks,

I think i am going to go for mobil 1 ( the right thickness). it is the best oil out there and they do it in loads of different viscositys. :)

Fully synthetic oil is too thin for a 1.8 16V... stick with some good quality semi synthetic like VW's Quanta Silver oil... it's good stuff and not very expensive either... 8)
I thought that stuff was fully synthetic.

Mobil 1 15/50W motorsport is OK in VW engines. Don't use the 0-40W stuff. You may aswell pour that straight onto the floor as that's what the seals will do if you put it in the engine!

yep semi synthetic way to go, otherwise the tippity tap of your vavles will drive you crazy with fully synth - did me anyway

Mobil 1 will find the slightest leak in any engine, good oil though if you can keep it in the car :lol: , my mate was gutted when he put mobil 1 in his mk2 low milage 16v golf which was a stunner, after 2 days the oil on his garage floor made him cry, any one would have thought his parents had survived the most horrific air disaster with geoffrey dahmer :lol:

ive had my 16v sinse 88k miles

i decided to try mobil 1 from then, it never leaked or used any and ive ran it for a good few years...i now use synta gold cus its cheeper

mine doesnt sound too bad ,i spose it is a little rattley at the top....but at 150k it still doesnt use any

I had Mobil 1 in mine when I 1st got my C i did notice that it did become a bit rattly, I then drained it and put in the VW semi-synth (silver) and its smoother now, and cheaper. Besides if it was in the car from the factory then it must still be good for it!

I've used Synta Silver in my 16v for last six years. Good oil, original spec., VW quality, and not expensive. That's all I would use personally. 144,000 miles and still goes like a train.

Changed my VR6 over to synthetic (Synta Gold ) about 8 months ago 80,000 on clock.

Noticed a tappet rattling initially, but this has gone away and the engine is now smooth as silk.

had heard horror stories about seals leaking and oil burning! but it hase not happned to me and in sticking to the gold. I an surprised that i have not needed to do any topping up so far. Maybe im just lucky!