_Monkey

Storm Resurrection

So, a few of you may remember this particular car, it spent a fair amount of time in this thread, undergoing quite the transformation.

This story starts about 3 years ago when we bought my (now) wife, Paulina, a Corrado VR6.

24055669108_89c078e48c_c.jpg

Little rough around the edges, but mechanically it was sound and we didn't have a huge amount of money.

Went well for a couple of years

24055668928_5ff29513e8_c.jpg

Unfortunately, when we started looking at the bodywork, it transpired the car had been hit, and repaired with about an inch of body filler!

Upon further inspection, it had been hit quite a bit, whoever done the repair work was some kind of genius with the filler, we couldn't tell, but we also couldn't get a magnet to stick to about 40% of the car!

Needless to say, it had to go, after looking around, we found an 8v Corrado with running issues, then proceeded to re-shell the VR into it.

37907614091_41ac0d9076_c.jpg

While the car is very tidy and basically a standard VR, the insurance company see it as a massively modified 8v and decided to quadruple our premium!

Anyhow, we paid up and have been running the car for 6 months now.

That was until talking to Baz a couple of weeks ago, when he mentioned he had a Corrado with an R32 motor in that required some attention.

Now, I'm looking for a load of Corrado bits to for a Mk2 Golf R32 conversion and he suggested breaking the car for the parts.

That's when we found out it was a Storm, a plan started forming and a deal was struck.

So, last weekend we had a delivery

37905664121_d5c2cb8ab4_c.jpg

Which went straight into the workshop

37857081536_fc1d5fb650_c.jpg

37196132464_6623487f2f_c.jpg

The interior was very well done and would be great once finished.

37905663191_e185a326a3_c.jpg

37196132324_016cae4e68_c.jpg

However, this is a resto, so Paulina wasted no time in pulling it out

37874716882_1cb8c542e2_c.jpg

37905663901_35825fc1a8_c.jpg

Very happy to see that everything came out cleanly and all the standard fixings are in place.

Hopefully next weekend things will start to move across

37905664081_7b8c9ce1a4_c.jpg

I'm going to enjoy following this. Good luck

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Good luck with this Dave,I'd love to see this in the flesh as things progress,is that your mates golf still on the spot,cheers Neil

Interesting project. Best of luck with it.

Might be interested in the dash and some of the cabin bits if you're getting rid.

Looks an awesome project - good luck with build.

Whilst I plan to keep my current VR near OEM, I am getting the itch for a second 'project' Corrado that I can play around with. Just worried about the response I will get from 'she who must be obeyed'....

Time is another factor.

Just worried about the response I will get from 'she who must be obeyed'....

Classic :lol:

Seriously though it'll be interesting like the other guys have said to see the finished product.

Si

Thanks Guys.

fla - the interior will be up for sale once we've got it all out. I'll let you know as and when.

The plan is to restore it as much as possible, but there will be a few mods here and there.

The original VR had heated leather and the engine was strong, so all of that will find its way into the Storm.

There is a good chance that the coilovers and wheels that Doug fitted will be staying, the look has very much grown on us!

There is a bit of a deadline with this too, as Paulina is currently using my Mk2 (soon to be R32'd) to commute to work in as her Corrado is off the road.

The tax runs out at the end of November and I don't want to re-tax it, so no pressure there...

And if anyone was wondering what was going to happen to the 8v shell, it's going to one of our friends, who is going to turn it into a 20v track car.

So, it's taken a while, but we managed to get the dash out without damaging it.

It was really in there!

24498024848_6ebafcd60b_c.jpg

Next thing to come out was the engine.

38337930612_36224761d0_c.jpg

There sure were a lot of modifications on it, can't believe he managed to get it running with 12v management!

Unfortunately, there were a lot of holes drilled in the bulkhead to allow aircon etc, which is a little confusing as the air con condenser was removed from the bock.

Either way, after about a day of welding, the replacement engine was ready to be swapped across

24498023578_aaae6895e3_c.jpg

26592930309_cc7b755b29_c.jpg

You may notice that the inlet manifold is missing, that's because Paulina has been very busy on it

26592926619_b7d95813bf_c.jpg

Next we moved into the interior, took a while, but I managed to swap out all the modified wiring for standard.

38337929422_8d531692e7_c.jpg

Then the carpet went in and for the first time in a long while, the dash

24498023378_06c6c46cba_c.jpg

So Been a bit lax on getting the updates done.

Spent a fair bit of time on the interior, getting all the wiring in and working. Starting to look a little more like it should here...

38969889801_55b095b0c0_c.jpg

Also, got the engine bay finished off.

Unfortunately, the slam panel was damaged and the bonnet latch wouldn't operate correctly.

Just as well we kept the original slam panel off the first Corrado!

38933195452_45653c6ea0_c.jpg

Also, the underside of the bonnet appears to be blue, that'll be a fair weather job.

Now most of the wiring is proven, the interior started to go back in

38253528424_dff685e902_b.jpg

38933135812_ccd62cbc38_c.jpg

And finally, after (what feels like) months of work, it's finally back down on it's wheels.

27192050129_778ab5a10a_b.jpg

Tracking and camber need looking at, but not enough to stop a quick test drive around the block.

Must be the furthest that car had been driven in the best part of a decade!

25098367338_f80d75a93a_b.jpg

38969818321_7b34130d40_b.jpg

MOT is booked for next week, fingers crossed!

25098367008_a5ed735f0a_b.jpg

Got the bay finished...for now

25673601548_31ec0548a9_c.jpg[/url]

The bonnet and slam will get painted soon.

Unfortunately, it failed the MOT though:

Wiring loom hanging down on the passenger side - didn't know it could fail on that, so I hand't bothered refitting the passenger side lower dash.

Headlight out of alignment.

Both very quickly remedied and for the first time in 10 years, it's fully road legal!

Will get some shots of it out in the wild, but for now this is all we have...

25673601618_cf7f1e4df5_c.jpg

Wiring loom hanging down on the passenger side

Sounds a bit harsh

Good to see another one passed now, good work

Sounds a bit harsh

Good to see another one passed now, good work

Guess our MOT man had just a bad day, but finally rado's on the road for first time during the last 10 years!

Well done Monkey looking very good. what shows you going to this year and in what car. Baz (BLCSO) VW Golf MK2 will be doing his usual ones and hopefully I'll have my original Corrado ready to show the world as she has just had a new paint job and a lot of refurbishment.

Kind regards Oz

We're going to our usual (Castle Combe, Inters, Mk2 owners meeting, Retro Rides) plus possibly Gti Festival, Volksfest...

Monkey got just one car option his mk2 😁 the last c. he had, finished as a donor for the golf 😂 so the corrado owner in our family can be only one 😆 but bless his heart he worked hard to put c. together while I've been doing some dirty work and taking milion of pictures.