fla

Installing oil temp gauge

I'm looking to install an external oil temp gauge to fit in the cubby hole. What's the best way to wire this to the existing sender? Its already got one with it but i wonder if the standard sender is calibrated correctly for it. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Are you sure it's not a pressure sender you want? That's what is normally fitted to the dash cubbyhole. The MFA already has a temp sensor - if you think it's not working correctly just replace the sender. Normally an additional temp sender can be wired to a simp plug sender.

Yeah - you can actually also buy replacement sump plugs that have the sender already built in - I had one on my mark 2. The other option would be to use a T-piece fitting on the existing temp sender hole in the oil filter housing or see if there are any 2 pole sender available.

thanks chaps. Yes temp sender as i usually keep that on on the MFA but would rather have it displayed below.

Dox - my worry would be that the lead from teh sump sender would be lower still so would have the risk of being snapped or ripped off. Did you find that at all?

Fender - the t-piece seems a good idea, do you think it would work if i fitted a double spade on top of the existing sender or is the calibration of each sender likely to be different? If anyone knows the resistance of the standard sender that would be useful as i could then compare that with the one i have.

I had no problems with my MK2 on eibach and koni suspension.

You could glue a nut to the sump and place some heat conductive paste into the thread before screwing in the sender, then you could have it higher up the side of the sump?

Good idea!

How did you route the cable back into the cabin? Are there any 'safe' but neat entry points?

Good idea!

How did you route the cable back into the cabin? Are there any 'safe' but neat entry points?

Its 20 years ago since I did the MK2, isn't there wiring for the console gauges already near the heat exchanger and behind the cubby hole?

Only some Corrados were pre-wired for the gauges from the factory, but there is a hole with a grommet already in place at the top of the cubbyhole. If you look at the firewall behind the pedals and near the brake servo assembly there are a few holes for wiring to pass through the bulkhead there - some may already be in use, others might be covered off with a grommet.

I never had an issue with the sump sender being damaged on standard height suspension, the sump plug sits at a slant anyway and the sender flat contact part is only half an inch or so higher.