VR6 Lee

Car Storage - Humidity

I have noticed over the last few months that the humidity in my garage is around 80% which is to high for the garage so I have a feeling this is why I am getting rust bits appearing on my corrado over the years when the car is stored. Humidity levels are around the 40% mark in the house.

I have put a dehumifier in the garage but still the levels are around 80% so I have just left the garage door slighly open at the bottom to get some fresh air in the garage hopefully I can get the level down a bit.

Question is what does everyone else do when storing their vehicle over the winter months to keep rust at bay?

Edited by VR6 Lee

I have noticed over the last few months that the humidity in my garage is around 80% which is to high for the garage so I have a feeling this is why I am getting rust bits appearing on my corrado over the years when the car is stored. Humidity levels are around the 40% mark in the house.

I have put a dehumifier in the garage but still the levels are around 80% so I have just left the garage door slighly open at the bottom to get some fresh air in the garage hopefully I can get the level down a bit.

Question is what does everyone else do when storing their vehicle over the winter months to keep rust at bay?

You could always install a humidistat fan I work in Damp proofing and plastering. I install these when working in properties with condensation problems . How old is the property?, is the garage integral ?. With all buildings as you must already know as you have stated humidity levels , you need air flow , a fan would regulate the humidity in the air .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outdoor humidity is practically 80+ for the whole winter. An unheated garage won't be far off the same as the outdoors, so the only way to improve it is to dehumidify or insulate or both. A fan will exchange air with the outdoor, which is currently at about 90% humidity..

You should obviously also double check for rising damp or leaks.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Outdoor humidity is practically 80+ for the whole winter. An unheated garage won't be far off the same as the outdoors, so the only way to improve it is to dehumidify or insulate or both. A fan will exchange air with the outdoor, which is currently at about 90% humidity..

You should obviously also double check for rising damp or leaks.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Stupid I phone . Even my texts fly off before I’ve finished, or is it my age ?. As I was saying is the garage separated from the house ? Can it have a gentle heat ?. A little heat and air exchange is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also invest in a Carcoon or similar storage system.

Having used one of those for around 4 years now they make a huge difference over the winter period as the light build of rust I used to get on brake discs no longer appears.

Framework style one is better for a garage just remember you need to be able to open the garage door!